Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where I would go to get my film developed?

Where I would go to get my film developed?

Hi All,

probably these questions had been here, but I am looking for some additional expertise. I live in Ontario, Canada. My space restrictions does not allow me to process B&W 8x10 sheets. I bought Ilford FP4+ and T-max 100 for tryout.

1. If I would choose only Canada labs, which one would be the best and what is your experience?
    2. If I choose North America, which lab you would consider for developing your film and why?
    3. Did anybody tried DR5 positive process and what was your satisfaction?
    4. What do you think about doing positive B&W contact prints on Ilfochrome Classic paper? Would you consider it as a good idea?
    5. Which B&W paper would you consider for contact printining from B&W negatives?
    6. Did anybody try to expose color reversal film on B&W paper and develop it as positive development?

The best way to respond to any question could be to put the question number at the beginning of your response. Thanks for your support.

I don't know the answer to any of your questions, so you may want to stop reading right here. It's just that I'm absolutely astounded that someone shooting 8x10 wouldn't already know the answer to most of these questions. Didn't you learn about photography by starting with 35mm or 4x5 before graduating to the big stuff? I'm not trying to put you down (I don't have the guts myself to tackle 8x10) but I'm really puzzled, especially since there have been several posts on this and other forums asking such elemental questions as "how do I submit film to a lab?" What am I missing?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

If you have enough room for developing paper, you have more than enough for film. Get a Jobo expert drum for 8x10 (3005), some rollers, and roll it by hand if you cannot afford their processor. Of course, commerical processing for 8x10 is so expensive you could amortize a processor pretty fast.

Dear Peter,

I don't shoot 8x10, but for b&w processing I would do it myself in trays. For color you may want to consider River City Silver in San Antonio, TX (http://www.rivercitysilver.com/processing.html).

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

I've used a lab called Toronto B&W a couple of times. I had them do a couple of sheets for me but overall I found it pricey and decided to try tray processing and then tried using a drum. You can find used drums for under $20 at the larger camera stores.
    Toronto B&W is at 416-861-0258.
    I use tmax 400 sheet film in 8x10 and buy it at Burlington Camera. They have to order it in but it doesn't take long.
    I haven't used colour film and don't know where to get it processed.
    -Rob Skeoch

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/501409.html

Bob Carnie posts to this forum. You could try his lab.

http://elevatordigital.ca/pages/traditional.htm

Have to agree doing your own isn't that hard. It doesn't take a lot of space either.

Ontario is pretty big. Could you be more specific? Are you near a large city? Also, for the moment at least, I process 8x10 sheet film in the bathroom, with a sheet of plywood over the tub to hold the trays. It is a small bathroom. Email me if you want for my ingenious plywood design.

Hi All,

I have to defend myself a little bit here. The reason I asked this question is I do not have space to even process film because my bathroom is so small I have no space. To make print I am going to local darkroom. Based on convesration with guy he owns darkroom, He is not very pleased to let me process film in trays. I have red a lot about tray processing, brush developing method, I gathered a lot of information. Simply, I do not have space to do it by myself.

If I ask question about where to process film, it is not because I have low IQ, simply pr3esent conditions does not allow me to execute my own process I would like to. So instead of trying and screwing something I am willing to pay more and have it done right.

Peter,
    You may not get much sympathy here. Most photographers that I know have had some pretty poor excuses for a darkroom at one time or another. Just having a too small bathroom puts you way up on my first "Darkroom". By bathroom I would assume that you have running water. That alone puts you ahead of many. If you have a small sink you can use a rack to stack trays. A lot of good work has been done in dry closets and on top of desks or tables with plywood or black plastic fitted to windows.

A well known photography writer had worked out of a "Tent" in their living room. Take Don up on his offer of plywood designs. A couple of gray plastic pipe tubes can give real nice negatives and you really don't need much in the way of "Dark". Get creative, that is what photography is really all about. Adapt and overcome.

Look at what all of the early photographers did. Their black tents would be like you working out of a VW bug with the windows painted black.

For film at least, you do not even need dark. A changing bag (tent), which you are going to need anyway for loading film into holders, and daylight tank are all you need. Add an ice chest to hold tempered water to the keep the temperature stable during development, and you could develop film anywhere with running water. I would say even in the back yard, but my weather is a lot warmer than yours in the winter. More to the point, I can understand why he does not want you doing film in trays - the lights have to off which can be a problem for others. But you could use a daylight tank and be any trouble at all in the darkroom.