Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I have been a member of this forum for more than sixteen years....

Re: I have been a member of this forum for more than sixteen years....

This forum is the friendliest and most useful one I visit.

If a beginner asks a question they get treated politely and usually furnished with the correct answer.

I use one model networking forum where the technical knowledge is pitiful, and the petty points scoring is incredibly tedious.

The knowledge I have got here for free would have cost me thousands in workshops or short courses.

I am really very grateful this place exists.

Personally, I like having the forum moderated. Such a policy tends to reduce the sniping and trolling that seems so prevalent on other boards. Yes, I have had a few of my posts deleted (I can be as testy as the next old guy!) but every time that happened, I could (sort of) see why it did. Not once have I gotten into an argument with one of the moderators. A few years ago, the insults and bicker started to get so bad that I was thinking of turning to APUG for respite.

That lasted about sixteen seconds.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Gudmundur, It sounds like you are frustrated by something.

It sounds like you see the moderators everywhere, do you want to see more posts by more people and less by the moderators?
    Is there something specific the moderators are doing you do not like?
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

Ve haf vays of making you haf deja fu all ofver again!

Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray View Post
    Ve haf vays of making you haf deja fu all ofver again!
    Nice one, Struan.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I try :-)

I, for one, was happy to see a personality like FP go. He was a bomb thrower and provocateur and was little else through the majority of his stay here. In other words, an internet troll.

However, I do agree that the moderation has become more heavy handed of late. I don't see the point in closing threads just because they are old and may have been 'answered'. This forces any continuing dialogue to happen in a new thread, and that causes discontinuity in the conversation.

It's pretty clear that the moderators have an idea what an internet forum like this is supposed to be and they nudge the conversations and members to make that fit their concept. I'm not judging that either way; it's their forum to do with what they want, but it wouldn't be what I would do.

That said, the forum seems to run reasonably smoothly, but I don't go to the Lounge, so I don't see the majority of the idiot award competitions (is there still a Lounge?).

This forum is a very useful resource, and I hope that the moderation doesn't drive away the knowledge base of the members.

---Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Gudmundur Ingolfsson View Post
    I have been a member of this forum for more than sixteen years and always liked it.
    Recently however it is ruled by guidlines and run by moderators [gasp! oh no! added by me] like a division of the GESTAPO.
    I thought rules have made the world civilized since the Babylonians, through the Greeks and Romans, to the rule of law of today. Especially when the majority have agreed to the rules. Anarchy and fringe beliefs of what is right don't work in communities.

Here is how the perfect, democratic rule forum would work. For moderation, any posts could be "voted" on by either an "electorate" of many members, or all members. It would require a majority for that action to occur. Those could only vote to delete a post, or lock a thread. "Liking" a particular post would not be part of the process, only "not liking/breaking the rules" would. That way there would not be a 50/50% split of people that like the post, and those that don't. But ONE person couldn't take the action. Too bad there isn't a simple technology to do that.

A wise person I know once told me that the price of freedom is not for free... And democracy is an experiment, and society is about social interaction... Hopefully reasonable rules and understandings hold these fragile threads together...

Steve K