Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Problem with 8x10 Impossible Project B&W Gen2 film (Contains nudity)

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    195

    Problem with 8x10 Impossible Project B&W Gen2 film (Contains nudity)

    Hi All,

    I'm trying my first box of the second generation 8x10 Impossible project B&W film, and 3 of 5 exposures have turned orange in parts of the film. I've used the gen 1 film (though didn't like it) and the color film (really like it) successfully, but so far the second generation B&W film looks fine an hour after exposure, but anywhere from days to weeks, some of the positives have parts turning orange. The following scans were taken of images that developed an orange tint within one week, two weeks, and three weeks of exposure, respectively. I contacted IP last week and haven't heard anything so nudged them again today. If anyone has any info on this, I'd love to hear it.

    Sorry about nudes outside the nudes thread - if anyone has an issue, I can substitute censored images.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hliw_am_montoya_orange_1.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	150518Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hliw_blueriverdream_orange.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	150519Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hliw_am_montoya_orange_2.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	150520

    Thanks!
    Bill

  2. #2
    おせわに なります! Andrew O'Neill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Coquitlam, BC, Canada, eh!
    Posts
    4,576

    Re: Problem with 8x10 Impossible Project B&W Gen2 film (Contains nudity)

    After you take them, how are you storing them?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    12,378

    Re: Problem with 8x10 Impossible Project B&W Gen2 film (Contains nudity)

    Have you asked the manufacturer?

  4. #4
    おせわに なります! Andrew O'Neill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Coquitlam, BC, Canada, eh!
    Posts
    4,576

    Re: Problem with 8x10 Impossible Project B&W Gen2 film (Contains nudity)

    He said he did. Twice.

  5. #5
    Vince Donovan
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    102

    Re: Problem with 8x10 Impossible Project B&W Gen2 film (Contains nudity)

    This looks like alkali staining, a known problem with this film:
    https://impossible.zendesk.com/hc/en...-the-trap-end-

    And of course since the developer is water-based, the image will eventually degrade even more if you do not store it in a sealed envelope with dessicant for a few days to dry it out. (or peel apart the positive from the negative).

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    7,151

    Re: Problem with 8x10 Impossible Project B&W Gen2 film (Contains nudity)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill L. View Post
    Sorry about nudes outside the nudes thread - if anyone has an issue, I can substitute censored images.
    You're fine with the warning in the thread title - thanks for thinking to include that!

    At least so far as the third one is concerned, did you see this item on the IP website?

    https://impossible.zendesk.com/hc/en...-the-trap-end-

    EDIT: A few more details, in case the link goes down, building on what Vince mentioned: alkali paste leaking into the picture area, but no known good solution - either cut away that part of the picture or try to carefully squeeze the paste out from the trap area at that end of the print.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    195

    Re: Problem with 8x10 Impossible Project B&W Gen2 film (Contains nudity)

    Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    You're fine with the warning in the thread title - thanks for thinking to include that!

    At least so far as the third one is concerned, did you see this item on the IP website?

    https://impossible.zendesk.com/hc/en...-the-trap-end-


    EDIT: A few more details, in case the link goes down, building on what Vince mentioned: alkali paste leaking into the picture area, but no known good solution - either cut away that part of the picture or try to carefully squeeze the paste out from the trap area at that end of the print.
    Yep - that looks like it. I think I'll need to trim off the trap ends. Ugh. It would be nice if they gave that in the general directions.

    Thanks!
    Bill

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    195

    Re: Problem with 8x10 Impossible Project B&W Gen2 film (Contains nudity)

    Quote Originally Posted by vdonovan View Post
    This looks like alkali staining, a known problem with this film:
    https://impossible.zendesk.com/hc/en...-the-trap-end-

    And of course since the developer is water-based, the image will eventually degrade even more if you do not store it in a sealed envelope with dessicant for a few days to dry it out. (or peel apart the positive from the negative).
    For the color and gen2 B&W they're saying you don't need to peel them apart. Just store them flat in a cool dry place with good air flow around the print for a month. The alkali issue is a new one on me, though.

    Thanks!
    Bill

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    195

    Re: Problem with 8x10 Impossible Project B&W Gen2 film (Contains nudity)

    Bob - I have contacted IP, recontacted them today - if I hear anything, I'll pass it along.

    Andrew- I store them flat in a cool dark room for a month before storage, which is annoying but better than having to split the print apart shortly after processing like I did for gen 1 B&W. That basically makes them useless when you only have a couple of hours in studio with a model.

    The "polaroids" are usually a chance to get a break from the ether when I'm shooting tintypes. I may need to stick with the color. . .

    Cheers!
    Bill

  10. #10
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    7,151

    Re: Problem with 8x10 Impossible Project B&W Gen2 film (Contains nudity)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill L. View Post
    For the color and gen2 B&W they're saying you don't need to peel them apart.
    That's right. Unlike the Polaroid 8x10 product, these are integral films.

Similar Threads

  1. Impossible project 8x10 instant color protection film
    By sweat100 in forum Image Sharing (LF) & Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 6-Jan-2014, 20:20
  2. Impossible project 8x10 instant color protection film
    By sweat100 in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 21-Mar-2013, 08:57
  3. Impossible Project announces 8x10 instant film coming summer 2012...
    By bitnaut in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 26-Aug-2012, 21:04
  4. Impossible Project Pioneer 8x10 film
    By Thom Bennett in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-Jun-2012, 12:46

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •