Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spring Wildflowers near Bishop, CA

Re: Spring Wildflowers near Bishop, CA

Jerry, I had planned to be there Thursday evening after stopping off in Apple Valley to take my Mom out for breakfast along the way and continue on from there. So maybe we will pass each other on the freeway or something.

Mike

Drew Wiley

It's the sight of Mt Humphrey's, Mt Emerson, etc, that makes me homesick. I lived on the opposite side of the range, due west, but have hiked to the crest from
    both direction, and all through that backcountry. I've looked down on Bishop from atop many a high perch up there. Paiute Pass was the standard route for Indians heading toward Hot Creek to obtain obsidian cobbles. But my favorite shortcut was Lamarck Col, a bit up there at well over 13,000, but unforgettable.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    Jerry, I had planned to be there Thursday evening after stopping off in Apple Valley to take my Mom out for breakfast along the way and continue on from there. So maybe we will pass each other on the freeway or something.

Mike
    Well, I'm leaving tomorrow AM and should be near Lone Pine in the afternoon (I'm kind of a slow driver). Who knows?
    Jerry Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    But my favorite shortcut was Lamarck Col, a bit up there at well over 13,000, but unforgettable.
    Drew, that's one of my favorites as well. The view down Darwin Canyon is outstanding. It's sure a lot of work though. My all-time fave might be Knapsack Pass from Dusy Basin over to the Palisades.

Drew Wiley

I did the Knapsack/Thunderbot Pass loop one day when crystal clear water ice completely encased wildflowers etc, just as if they had clear plastic poured over them. It was a bitch climbing up the chute; but I had my ice axe along, and the Sinar shots were surreal. Then I got a very unique edge-on shot of North Palisade and Starlight Peak from right in a tiny wedge at the bottom of that sheer face of Thunderbolt Peak. The last night I spent in Dusy Basin was during a soft Oct snowfall. The coyotes had gathered on a knoll above me, and their chorus bounced off all those sheer faces, echoing about six times. I sure miss my teenage years, back in my 40's and 50's. No Sinar this summer. Two weeks with the Ebony instead.

I think Hwy 168 west out of Bishop is plowed all the way to Lake Sabrina, since last weekend was the fishing opener. Looking at the Lake Sabrina website, there's plenty of snow, but, somehow, those fishermen drove their vehicles all the way up:

http://www.lakesabrinaboatlanding.co...7s_report.html
    http://www.lakesabrinaboatlanding.com/default.html

Drew Wiley

Access could change anytime due to recent snow. But since it's a utility dam, they do attempt to keep the road open even in winter. Some of my climber pals have driven there even in December for winter climbs of Mt Darwin. Sabrina would be lovely at the moment with snow over the peaks, at least the ledges of the peaks - there are some pretty steep ones back there! Gosh - there are few places in the Sierra more beautiful for "quickie" backpacks than Sabrina Basin. But it's distinctly early for that kind of activity, so if you plan on shooting from the dam, you'll probably want a longish lens to home in on the peaks in the background.
    Mt Lamarck has the most distinct shape from that perspective. Once you get up in the Basin, appropriately-named Picture Peak and Clyde Spires are nearby classics.

Drew Wiley

It can close anytime, believe me; or chains can be required ANYTIME. I grew up very close to Hwy 168 on the west side of the range, where there is a ski resort
    up the hill. They can even stop you at the bottom of the first grade. I once staggered out of that backcountry up there where my toothpaste froze solid in the middle of my pack under a noon blue sky in mid-August. Then it snowed so hard that Hwy 395 itself was officially closed just north of Bishop. These are mountains. I've been in serious blizzards in the Sierra every month of the year except July. One time I was heading back down from Pine Cr Pass above Rovana, down the switchbacks on the cliff, with the crest itself hidden by a plateau section up around 10,000 ft. These LA types were getting out of their cars at the hot
    trailhead, amidst beavertail cacti, wearing shorts and T-shirts, with cute little REI packs. A horse packer went past them, with everything including himself all bundled with plastic. They stand there scratching their heads, looking up. Not a cloud in sight. Then as I slowly approach they all start laughing, seeing me all
    geared to the hilt in sunshine. Then almost to the truck, they suddenly notice the two inches or so of fresh snow still atop my pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    It can close anytime, believe me; or chains can be required ANYTIME. I grew up very close to Hwy 168 on the west side of the range, where there is a ski resort
    up the hill. They can even stop you at the bottom of the first grade. I once staggered out of that backcountry up there where my toothpaste froze solid in the middle of my pack under a noon blue sky in mid-August. Then it snowed so hard that Hwy 395 itself was officially closed just north of Bishop. These are mountains. I've been in serious blizzards in the Sierra every month of the year except July. One time I was heading back down from Pine Cr Pass above Rovana, down the switchbacks on the cliff, with the crest itself hidden by a plateau section up around 10,000 ft. These LA types were getting out of their cars at the hot
    trailhead, amidst beavertail cacti, wearing shorts and T-shirts, with cute little REI packs. A horse packer went past them, with everything including himself all bundled with plastic. They stand there scratching their heads, looking up. Not a cloud in sight. Then as I slowly approach they all start laughing, seeing me all
    geared to the hilt in sunshine. Then almost to the truck, they suddenly notice the two inches or so of fresh snow still atop my pack.
    With your stories, I could sit around a campfire for hours.
    Jerry Parker

Drew Wiley

Thanks. But I'm nuthin'. I got to sit around campfires with old cowboys and miners who pioneered exploration of the backcountry. The most remarkable was an old Indian up the road, then bedridden, who recited his childhood stories of walking over Piute Pass barefoot with only a rabbitskin blanket to keep him warm. Part of a trading party to the East side. The Mono Indians in that area were never either exterminated or pacified like those in the Central Valley or further north in the Mother Lode. They were slowly assimilated. The locals had been up all kinds of peaks before the Sierra Club ever "officially" bagged them. And long, long before...
    Yep, even atop Knapsack Pass I picked up an atlatl point. That's what they used millennia before the bow and arrow were invented. Couple years ago we stumbled up Colby Pass. It was a mess, though a trail crew had set up a temporary base camp down at the Kern-Kaweah River to do work later on. Can't imagine people climbing over all that sharp talus barefoot, long before a trail, or in moccasins. But it would have been an ideal vantage point to look for bighorn sheep in the valley below. So after I took a 4x5 panorama, I instinctively thought like one of those ancients, and ducked behind a rock I would have used as a windbreak. Sure enough, obsidian chips.