Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to disassemble a Sinar P2 standard?

How to disassemble a Sinar P2 standard?

Hi everybody,

Can somebody please help?

I have the front standard swing mechanism of my Sinar P2 busted... It looks like that some "teeth" of the rail have been wear off... I think if I'll be able to take the plate off, I can cut off and replace the rail with a same gear one made out of phosphoric brass, Can somebody that have disassembled a Sinar P/P2/X standard help me as to where to start? ...Otherwise I will have to do it the "blind man's way" and I'm afraid I may start disassembling parts that need not to... Thanks in advance.

Re: How to disassemble a Sinar P2 standard?

Maybe send an email to Bob Watkins at Precision Camera Repair and ask for his input?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thanks Peter, I guess I've got nothing to lose in doing so, I should have said that I'm located more than 4000 miles away from Bob though... In most cases, qualified technicians want to have a look on the equipment themselves before they can come up with an advise... I'll drop a mail to Bob, but if a member of the forum can also help, he is welcomed to do so...

I have the Sinar service manual for a P, but not for a P2. If that would help, send me pm. I have a P2, but I haven't taken it apart.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Thanks again for the input Peter, PM sent!

Kudos to Peter for helping so much.... No more feedback is needed. Despite the fact that I will now be able to fix the problem and even improve upon the original part (I have an engineering MechEng degree), one can't help to notice that the busted rail is made out of ....Plastic! If it was a metal one the problem would have never occurred!

Quote Originally Posted by Theodoros View Post
    one can't help to notice that the busted rail is made out of ....Plastic! If it was a metal one the problem would have never occurred!
    It's probably a sacrificial part to keep something more expensive from breaking.............L

I expect Luis is right. You might still be able to get the plastic parts cheaply from Sinar. You could a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I expect Luis is right. You might still be able to get the plastic parts cheaply from Sinar. You could a few years ago.
    if you can quote a US source that is willing to sell a sinar part, please do.
    I called ALL listed US Sinar dealers, and none would help, most did not know they are sinar dealers.
    Sinar themselves gave me 2 contact partners (Fotocare and another one) who strictly refused to offer any parts.

As I understand from a guy around here who does a lot of trading in second hand Sinar gear, it seems that Sinar won't sell non-user-replaceable parts for their cameras anymore. Basically anything that involves getting out a pair of pliers or a screwdriver to replace, will not be sold to you by Sinar. I'm not sure what the thinking behind this is, but perhaps it's to make sure users send their cameras in for repairs to registered Sinar dealers for reasons of quality control and channel protection. Either way, when it comes to getting parts, it seems that second hand trading and donor cameras will be the way to go from here on.