Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pinhole macro (does this count as a "Lens" question?!)

Re: Pinhole macro (does this count as a "Lens" question?!)

Hi all,

Thanks very much for your replies--a lot to think about . I've seen some information that talks about optimising pinholes for a particular focal length and also some different information that talks about optimising pinholes for the pinhole-to-subject distance, which is why I was asking real people with real experience if it is possible, or rather perhaps scientifically meaningful, to optimise a pinhole for a particular distance (either as a stand-alone question or in addition to being optimised for a focal length). Light will of course be an issue, but my plan is to bring along a sketch pad and pencils, or a good book, or some music to practice, to pass the time during hour-long exposures .

In the meantime, thank you for links to websites and calculators, and I have a plan brewing to see if I can do some experimentation digitally.

Thanks again,
    Sharon

You might find this site more useful:
    http://www.f295.org/main/forum.php
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Hi again all,

Thanks again for your suggestions and pointing me toward some very useful links. I've surprised myself with some success! I bought a set of pinholes from pinholeresource.com and mounted a couple of them on lensboards, then used them with our 4x5 Arca. I tried two setups, one at a focal length of about 200mm and one at about 400mm. In bright sunlight (through the window) I got reasonable exposure times (5-30 min, though as you can see, if I've attached the files correctly, I still had some under-exposure with one setup). Particularly with the 400mm focal length, I was getting good magnification of around 5x--not pin-sharp, of course, but I'm really interested in being able to see detail (which I can) rather than maximising sharpness.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	200mm pinhole.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	151093Click image for larger version. 

Name:	400mm pinhole.jpeg 
Views:	45 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	151094

I'm keen to try getting closer in with the 400mm focal length, but I'm finding that as I move it closer to the subject, the large camera throws a lot of shadow on the subject, pushing the exposure times to the ridiculous. We have some ideas about how to combat this--namely, constructing a tapered camera (we're thinking of adapting a traffic cone, for starters ) and learning how to use a flash.

Anyway, thanks again--I'm pleasantly surprised that I seem to be getting somewhere! If anyone is interested in updates, let me know and I can keep posting .

Best wishes,
    Sharon

Cool keep posting results!

Your posts sent me to strange pinhole lands. Such as Electron Microscopes that use Pinhole, LF film and Gas Burst Development.
    Tin Can

Yes keep updating!
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

Well, I've built myself a camera out of our old Arca 4x5 rear standard and a traffic cone...photos attached. I'm getting upwards of 20x magnification with good detail, I think (using FP4 and a flash).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0199.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	151566Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img499.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	151567

Next steps are getting rid of internal reflection in the camera and seeing how far back I can move it from my subject while still getting good detail (because the fewer times I need to change the pinhole size, probably the better). Also probably moving to HP5 rather than FP4 so I don't need quite so many passes with the flash, but we'll see...

Thanks for your interest !

Sharon