Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Best large tent?

Re: Best large tent?

Hrere's another great one to consider large tent . take a look before buying a large tent. it's very helpful and informative details about how to choose the best large tent.

Drew Wiley

There was a nice documentary the other night about Paleontologists on Baffin Island. Looks like they were using big Hilleburg Nano tents - large enough for even polar bears to come in for a complimentary snack!

What I want is a large tent I can put up by myself, 6 ft at center. Chair and folding table. Inside...

Our 50's heavy canvas tent which lasted into the 80's, unfolded with floor and awning, easily staked, one person went inside with one wood pole which had 4 steel rods going to each upper corner on a sliding ring which was pushed up to tension it.

We slept 5 in it, 2 large parents on cots, 3 boys on floor. Tight fit...

While building a Northern Wisconsin cabin over several years. Hand drilled the well, made a beach, dock, boats and water skis. Planted 500 trees for windbreak.

Wonderful woods.

Then we did it again 20 years later
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    What I want is a large tent I can put up by myself, 6 ft at center. Chair and folding table. Inside...

Our 50's heavy canvas tent which lasted into the 80's, unfolded with floor and awning, easily staked, one person went inside with one wood pole which had 4 steel rods going to each upper corner on a sliding ring which was pushed up to tension it.

We slept 5 in it, 2 large parents on cots, 3 boys on floor. Tight fit...

While building a Northern Wisconsin cabin over several years. Hand drilled the well, made a beach, dock, boats and water skis. Planted 500 trees for windbreak.

Wonderful woods.

Then we did it again 20 years later
    We still have our family tent, a Springbar from AAA Tent and Awning in Salt Lake City, UT. Lots of great camping trips with my parents and brother and sister. No cots for my parents, but their air mattress was quite a bit thicker than the air mattresses that us kids slept on.

Just for fun I googled AAA Tent and Awning and they are still in business and still making Springbar tents. Looks like they have been updated a bit and they still have the 10'x14' Family Camper that we have. https://springbar.com/collections/al.../family-camper

Roger

Ours was way smaller, center pole

Watched the video on the small one

It'a a winner!

One person easy

50 years ago I used only tiny bivy tents, I could barely get in the one I had, then found out the hard way that Gore Tex does not breathe in heavy rain

I woke up gasping, couldn't get the zipper to move above my head, couldn't get my pocket knife out of my pocket to cut my way out

Finally got out and never used that one again

I still have my North Face 2lb Gore Tex down mummy bag from 50 years ago. Works well in heavy mist, with my nose sticking out...and a hat

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    We still have our family tent, a Springbar from AAA Tent and Awning in Salt Lake City, UT. Lots of great camping trips with my parents and brother and sister. No cots for my parents, but their air mattress was quite a bit thicker than the air mattresses that us kids slept on.

Just for fun I googled AAA Tent and Awning and they are still in business and still making Springbar tents. Looks like they have been updated a bit and they still have the 10'x14' Family Camper that we have. https://springbar.com/collections/al.../family-camper

Roger
    Tin Can

Principal Unix System Engineer, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems