Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best large tent?

Re: Best large tent?

It's way out of your price range but Snowtrekker makes great tents and if you find yourself working in cold weather, adding a stove makes life downright pleasant. I have the 10x13 Crew for use in all seasons. Very roomy for 2 and palatial for one. No floor but some good tarps and wool blankets make for a comfortable space.

again, spend but will last a long time and also self supporting.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

There are benefits to a canvas tent but, for the usage you describe, I'd go with a nylon tent. Better water resistance, less resistant to mildew, lighter, smaller bundle, faster to dry after being wet.

look at the L.L. Bean King Pine tent.

For something a little different, check out: Shiftpod.com

Born out of the trials at Burning Man.

Drew Wiley

Big Agnes tents set up nice; but the floor material is thin to keep weight at bay. If you select one of these, get some Tyvek truck wrap or something like that as additional ground protection. The question is, will the tent always be in immediate proximity to your vehicle, where overall weight will be a non-issue and canvas
    realistic, or will you also potentially use "walk-in" campgrounds where you need to haul gear a hundred yards or so?

I'm still leaning toward the Kodiak. One major concern is the canvas material. It needs to dry out before being put away to avoid mildew/mold but I live in a foggy, coastal area. I can easily seeing it raining at a campsite, I pack up, and come home with fog or damp weather for days. The tent will never dry out. I'm not sure if leaving it set-up until it gets sunny (a week or more) will prevent mold but it makes me uneasy. I wish they had a Kodiak style with synthetic material. I think I'll write the company...

--Darin

And then there's this. It is canvas, so the same caveat Darin mentions applies.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design

An alternative to the home on the range cowboy cabins would be this style of tent:

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/se/va...?id_colour=151

Some have three or four pods off the central atrium, this model has only two. They can usually be pitched by one person, and man-packed some distance from a vehicle if necessary. There are models (way out of your price range) which will stand up to Alaskan winter storms, and at all price points down to the use-once-and-dispose-of festival tents. They work very well for groups of 4-6 friends.

Drew Wiley

I obviously have the same problem - I need to clean and dry out the tent in the mountains before returning to the Bay Area or risk waiting for a dry week gosh knows when. But at least synthetic fabrics dry quickly.

My last Motorcycle ride was 10,000 miles long. This is the tent I took. https://redverz.com/motorcycle-tents/atacama-green/
    It worked well for the times I wanted to stay in one place for a while or be comfortable in really bad weather. The design is brilliant!