Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Best large tent?

Re: Best large tent?

Hopefully John has made a decision in the past four years.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

Most tents being sold these days don't last four years, so maybe the query is relevant again. I totally refurbished my trusty old Bibler just last year, but have been using a Big Agnes pup tent instead since it's half the weight, and er, I'm a bit older these days. It's a one-man thing and not a big tent like that in the question, but still luxury accommodations compared to the kind of camping I did in my youth. I can't just wrap myself up into a big furry ball like a Sasquatch, or a little furry ball like my cats are doing at the moment... er, I just heard one of them barfing... here we go again! Cleanup time.

If you want a really large, strong, comfortable tent that lasts a lifetime, nothing beats a De Waard, especially the Vergrote Zilvermeeuw (Enlarged Seagull): https://dewaardtenten.nl/product/vergrote-zilvermeeuw/

It has a few downsides though: size (minimum footprint 6m x 8m), weight (50 kilograms) end cost (starting at € 2349). And I don't know whether they are sold in the USA.

Big-tent-seekers should take a look at REI's Kingdom 4 and Kingdom 6 tents. I have the 4 and I bought what REI calls the "Garage" which attaches to it, and the whole weighs 18 lb. Ceiling height is (I think) 6 feet; since I am 5'-7", I haven't had need to duck or check. The Garage enables safe cooking under a shelter. Here, on this point, pictures are better. Very roomy altogether. For week-long camps I have had 2 cots, an improvised night table, and chairs for sitting. Plus gear. Kitchen and plastic bins, if not in bear country, go in and stay in the Garage.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Drew Wiley

Tents that big invite more than one bear at a time to come inside and play cards.

45er

If your looking for a very good quality tent then this manufacturer has the right stuff.

https://hilleberg.com/eng/tent/4-person-tents/

They also have group tents which may be more like what you are looking for.

I have had a Nallo GT for over 10 years. Quick to put up and great in all conditions, it is brilliant!

At what point does the "best" tent become an RV?
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Tents that big invite more than one bear at a time to come inside and play cards.
    Any models invite Dogs in to play Poker? I'll get one of those.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    I'm kicking around the idea of buying a large tent. I'm not looking for a backpacking tent or anything back-packable but something I might have set up for a week or two near where I park the car, something I can work in during bad weather. It would be cool to have a foldable writing desk and chair inside.

There will be one, two, or four people in it. More space is better. It will need to fit into national park car camping sites. Maybe state park sites. Must be good in higher winds. Must not be a hideous color.

I googled and the brand Big Agnes keeps coming up a lot. Price seems to go up to about $500-$600. I'm willing to pay for for a better tent, if it exists. I cannot use a combo truck/SUV tent arrangement. It must be a freestanding tent. I value ease of use, quality of construction, and stuff that will fit easily back into the storage back it came out of without me having to becoming a master of tent origami.

What have you guys used?

--Darin
    "Sherman turn the Wayback machine to 2016" Said Mr. Peabody
    Given the OP's circumstances I'll suggest a Montana Canvas Relite wall tent with a set of corners for a conduit frame for support. with an extra long rain fly that extends out to provide a covered porch.
    It would be large enough to accommodate folding chairs and tables so you can invite the three bears in for poker, you can stand up and work inside; and what the heck it's going to ride around in a car or truck----it doesn't have to be carried any great distance. With the "porch" you have a place to cook and store stuff that's protected from the weather. The conduit frame makes it free standing and simple to erect.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Very expensive but check out https://arcticoventent.com/tents/all-tents (Don't let the colors scare you, they offer a coyote color as well) and their wall tents http://alaskatent.com/walltents.html.

-Joshua