Thread: South Florida: Last week for Adams and Weston

South Florida: Last week for Adams and Weston

Just a reminder, this is the last week for the excellent Ansel Adams/Clyde Butcher show at Sarasota's Ringling Museum, and Edward Weston Life Work at the Naples Museum of Art. Both are excellent installations and worth a special trip to view.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Bill,

I saw the Adams/Butcher exhibit in Sarasota in February, and I definitely agree that it's worth seeing. The entire museum is incredible and well worth the price of admission. There were many Adams prints that I'd never seen in person before, including many of his "Parmelian Prints of the High Sierras". Too bad they only showed the super-enlarged versions of Clyde's prints. IMHO, the print quality really suffers at that size. If you drive just down the road to his gallery in Venice, you can see some really nice contact prints and modest-sized enlargements.

I wish I had known about the Weston exhibit in Naples! It's a prettly long drive from Sarasota, but I probably would have went for it. I wonder if it's the same exhibit that was shown at the Dayton Art Institute last year? That one was only a 25 minute drive from my home, and I bet I spent more than 12 hours total over several visits enjoying the prints. What a treasure.

Scott

Scott, I think that the Dayton exhibit was a family collection of prints that EW gave to his sister who lived in Middletown (where he made the Aarmco smokestack photos). This is from a different collection.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)