Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Is the Forum a repository or a community?

multiplex

Re: Is the Forum a repository or a community?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    MODERATOR'S NOTE: I've moved the "repository vs community" discussion to its own thread, both so as not to derail Kirk's useful "Forum growth" thread and because this is an important topic in its own right.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Honestly, Sal, why are you so opposed to redundant questions? You really never know. Perhaps the 20th time something is asked, we finally get a correct answer. Asking for no redundant questions/discussions and asking everyone to wade through searches instead, implies this (or any other forum) is some sort of factual database and that everything authoritatively correct. Yikes.
    its both.
    ===
    redundant questions are kind of funny.
    my favorites have to do with dark cloths.

A community-based gathering and storing of information.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    A community-based gathering and storing of information.
    Getting closer.

The community offers up the information, the software gathers and stores it away, and the admins try to keep the termites out.

I dislike the term "repository," however, as it reminds me of that other kind of pository.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    Getting closer.

The community offers up the information, the software gathers and stores it away, and the admins try to keep the termites out.

I dislike the term "repository," however, as it reminds me of that other kind of pository.
    I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    This is not an organized database and never has been since the first pioneers. It's more like a pile of loose leaf folders of scribbled random data. Which is OK for me, but not searchable unless you know the answer already...
    Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    The forum's search tool is...extremely poor. For example I typed in "uranium toner" and is pulled-up 772 results only one of which was uranium + toner together and that one was the recent thread that I started with Uranium Toner in the title. The rest apparently had toner somewhere in the threads but you would have to open all 772 up to see. Conversely a search for the key words Uranium Toner on apug turned-up 19 threads and highlighted those in-which uranium and toner appeared in so one could immediately go to the relevant ones.

Need some database programming here! Thomas
    "I beg to differ..."

Maybe, what is 'perhaps' needed even more (*As has already been 'touched upon' in this thread by Sal, Doremus and others)...
    Is the 'Learning/Developing' of Techniques -- To help Improve one's Internet Research Skills and make it even more Enjoyable!

Google supports all manner of handy search tricks today.
    --
    For example... Even using a very 'basic' Google Search such as:

>> site:http://www.largeformatphotography.info Uranium AND Toner <<
    >> site:www.apug.org Uranium AND Toner <<

... would return about 103 Results here on the LFPF -- With an additional 94 Results on APUG.

A quick perusal of the Thread Titles...
    Could then lead you to the most 'Relevant' Threads -- For further investigation.
    --
    Thank-you!
    Kind Regards, -Tim.

Reflections of a noob.

I check the forum several times a day. I have very little to offer or advise except non-photographic issues. Still I believe I have learned much passively from questions, for sale or to buy, or from the "post your .....". Many time if I am looking for an answer the question is often answered if I wait a few days.

At this point most of my questions are gear acquisition issues. No more bricks and mortar shops in nearby city to go try out a tripod/case/lens. I depend on those here who are willing to share, and I am grateful. I once posted a "what's the best tripod for........" and received a PM from a well known member for a tripod which I did buy. Was a great deal. There are many here willing to pass it on in some form.

The home page has been a great resource and I have printed and punched and filed several of the articles for easy reference. Still some of the information is dated. Some running threads(?) on some frequent noob topics would be helpful--tripods, heads, quick release systems, dark cloths, loupes, cables releases, cases and bags, filters, locations, workshops, exhibits,....... Sometimes threads get too long to read all the posts though. "http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?125382-The-250mm-10-quot-Wide-Field-Ektar-thread" is a great idea and I would welcome that for other lenses as well. I had just bought the ektar when that thread was posted and wish it was still active.

I realize my post count is meager. Still I am buying film, books, equipment, paper, chemicals. Much of this is stimulated by what I read and see here. When I do post a noob question I do try to spend a little time to craft it so it is somewhat unique.

Thanks to all those who do post regularly, answer noob question, offer encouragement, moderate, inspire, and make this what ever it is.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I suppose.
    Nice one!

Re: Forum Growth.....or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post

Just like most of the Internet, which has grown into a mess.

We are first going to struggle with data, then lose all data,
    For example, look at the thread on the restoration of my Century view camera from 2007. Since I'm a visual oriented person, pictures carried the story and the text is not so informative. Therefore, when all the pictures disappeared, the thread becomes somewhat meaningless. Re-posting the pictures in the correct order is a futile endeavor.

Re: Forum Growth.....or not?

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    For example, look at the thread on the restoration of my Century view camera from 2007. Since I'm a visual oriented person, pictures carried the story and the text is not so informative. Therefore, when all the pictures disappeared, the thread becomes somewhat meaningless. Re-posting the pictures in the correct order is a futile endeavor.
    Yes, it is a terrible loss.