Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I build a LF TLR? What would it take?

Re: Should I build a LF TLR? What would it take?

Someone mentioned the rangefinder approach and you know that's not such a bad idea especially since the Busch Pressman D I have has a range finder that works, but just needs adjusted to the lens that's on it.

Meanwhile, I recently heard about this idea called the "wheel" I'm given to understand it's a bit like a square with the corners knocked off, I've got a prototype going based on an octagon...

Octagon? Pretty radical . . .and far-off from a simple square. Think of the wasted material in all those cut off corners.

Back to photography:

Maybe a bracket could be made to fit a high-end model LensBaby to a Tablet.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

OK: Seriously now (sort of)

I actually think it could be possible to put a digital mini-cam on the inside of the lensboard aimed back at the film plane. it would be wired or bluetoothed to a smart phone or tablet. A film holder with a white surface at the film plane would be inserted. The image projected by the LF lens would be seen by the mini-cam and shown on the device. Composition and focusing would be seen on the device. No problem switching out reading glasses , bifocals or using a loop; magnification to confirm focus is just a matter of twitching two fingers.

When ready, just swap the holder for a film holder and shoot.

I really think that some techy millennial could get this done.

Could be made to work on a TravelWide too.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

The Cambo TWR is the best place to start for 4x5 TLR experimentation, I'd say. They are not super easy to find, but there is/was one on ebay not long ago, may still be there. IT handles parallax and differences in focal length without trouble (one lens board is adjustable, usually). I have one and it's really great to use and better than some other solutions: Vs. a rangefinder like Speed Graphic - it can focus closer generally than you can focus with the Kalart (which minimum focus distance is usually 4ft or more). Vs. an SLR: no mirror blackout, full flash sync at all speeds of the lens shutter, can handle shorter focal lengths than an SLR (approx minimum 190mm-200mm on any 4x5 SLR).

in 4x5 format:

What about starting off with two Pre-Annaversary Graphics? Get two working beaters and strip them down to wood. Aligne and register the GG/Film planes, then screw them together.

The lens boards are easy to DIY—make a joint lens Board and mount two lenses. A finishing touch would be a right angle viewer from an MP-4.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

Working beater pre-anniversaries are to be used, not cannibalized. They are nice light weight simple speed graphics for LF with barrel lenses. I don't think you could easily synchronize/align focus.

Probably a graphic view would be better start and build the extended standards into goalposts for doubling up parts like the sinar. The graphic views use the same 4x4ish lensboard as the anniversary/pre-anniversary.

Good points IP. I withdraw the suggestion.

What about two TrsvelWides then? Dual fixed focus bodies with 90mm Angulons: An inexpensive-point and-shoot with a 20 square inch viewing screen.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

Lots of good ideas!thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    OK: Seriously now (sort of)

I actually think it could be possible to put a digital mini-cam on the inside of the lensboard aimed back at the film plane. it would be wired or bluetoothed to a smart phone or tablet. A film holder with a white surface at the film plane would be inserted. The image projected by the LF lens would be seen by the mini-cam and shown on the device. Composition and focusing would be seen on the device. No problem switching out reading glasses , bifocals or using a loop; magnification to confirm focus is just a matter of twitching two fingers.

When ready, just swap the holder for a film holder and shoot.

I really think that some techy millennial could get this done.

Could be made to work on a TravelWide too.
    It could work, but you run into problems that there's very little light inside the camera that has to go through another lens and another aperture. However, I just really don't see the point? You might as well just have a groundglass with a camera pointed at it, or rather, a groundglass and your own eyes! If anything it'd be more interesting to make the darkslide white on one side and mount the internal camera permanently, if you can avoid swapping at least you'll have an advantage somewhere..

Quote Originally Posted by Math View Post
    It could work, but you run into problems that there's very little light inside the camera that has to go through another lens and another aperture. However, I just really don't see the point? You might as well just have a groundglass with a camera pointed at it, or rather, a groundglass and your own eyes! If anything it'd be more interesting to make the darkslide white on one side and mount the internal camera permanently, if you can avoid swapping at least you'll have an advantage somewhere..
    All good points:

First off ; I don't really know this stuff, I am just spit-balling away here on an early morning coffee-buzz.

Regarding the low light issue, the low light capability of current imaging sensors is amazing. This may not be quite the problem it seems to be. Someone else with expertise wil lhave to check on this.

The dark slide is closer to the lens than the true film plane. That is why the white surface should be inside the film holder. It could merely be a reflective card that slips in where the film would sit.

Permanently mounting the sensor system on the inside of the lens board sounds like a workable option. Mounting it outside the lens board would allow for a bulkier imaging system, at least in the proto-typ or proof of concept stage of development.

The point? There are several. On a scale-focusing or point and shoot body such as the Hobo, Fotoman or TravelWide to name a few, accurate framing and correct focus closer than infinity can be had while retiming spontaneity of use without resorting to the impedimenta of tripods and dark cloths.

A second and perhaps more narrow use on a full feature view camera, would be demonstration videos on the effect of movements.

Then there is the Geek factor: " HOW COOL!" and so on. Remember the Blue-Tooth possibility. Think of all the Apps that the Smart Phone/Tablet guys would come up with!

Some things should be done just because.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com