Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Should I build a LF TLR? What would it take?

Re: Should I build a LF TLR? What would it take?

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...Lens-4x5-Sinar

Above is link to my twin lens thread, I am enjoying this LF Twin Lens I made from all original Norma parts. Yes the big draw to this is seeing the expression on the ground glass, in a brief "pop" is a major plus on the 6x6 TLRs. Geoff Berliner told me on the phone that there is a 9x9cm TLR Rollei, in the Rollei Musuem in Germany. That would be something. Geoff and I both use the 9x9cm SLR Plaubel Makiflex from the sixties. This is different but just as fun to use, unlike any other camera I have ever used.

Tuned Up Twin Lens Norma 180 Comps by Nokton48, on Flickr

The rear standard on this Norma pair wobbled on the base rail. Following Philip's guide, I loosened the allen screws and reset the friction on the metal plugs that tighten against the rail. Easy to do and now square and solid. Bought another original Norma screen and marked 6x9 and 9x12 frame marks on all my screens using chartpac tape. Then reinstalled the glass in all screen carriers, adding Norma fresnels. So now identical markings completely on top and bottom focus screens and bright and very even viewing using the two Norma Monoculars with Norma Bag Bellows. It's vital that the base tilt create identical focus planes through both cameras, it is quick and easy to do. I reset the rear or front base tilt every time I move the camera. Everything looks sharp and good on the glass and I'm finishing some basic lens pairs. The Plaubel Peco Profia Camera Stand is the best way to get this beast into the proper position.

Lens Pairs for Twin Lens Norma so far by Nokton48, on Flickr

Like a car in an auto body shop, Norma Lens Boards with dozens of holes in some of them, can be plugged with JBWELD and planed and cleaned, the back side dotted with flat black Krylon aerosol paint. The front of the board gets spotted with Benjamin Moore paint I had color matched with a Norma board in the store. Looks pretty good in my opinion. Schneider Norma Twin lens camera pairs shown here. From upper left: 150mm f5.6 Componons, 210mm f5.6 Componons, 240mm f5.6 Componons. From bottom left: 180mm f4.5 Xenars, 240mm f5.6 Sinar Symmars, 300mm f5.6 Componons. This gives me a full range of lenses from 150mm to 300mm with the twin lens camera.

I need more Norma Pan Tilt heads, so I bought one of the Luland units to try. If it works well I will dedicate it to this camera, I'm also dedicating a generic aluminum double tripod plate, that my clockmaker friend made for me decades ago

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...Lens-4x5-Sinar
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Mr. Berliner was also a huge help during my Gowlandflex odyssey. It truly takes a village to raise a child like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Even the 8X10 Gowlandflex was used handheld
    From the "Things We'd Like to See" dept. Maybe Godzilla. Go to this page and scroll all the way down to look at the last picture on the bottom right of the page:

https://web.archive.org/web/20130429...era/index.html

Yes, I know that image with small person

Big man camera I suppose

my baby brother is 78"

I gave him my One a Day every day

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    From the "Things We'd Like to See" dept. Maybe Godzilla. Go to this page and scroll all the way down to look at the last picture on the bottom right of the page:

https://web.archive.org/web/20130429...era/index.html
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I gave him my One a Day every day
    Afraid I haven't managed to eat quite enough spinach myself.

Exploring Large Format Exploring Large Format's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Afraid I haven't managed to eat quite enough spinach myself.
    You just need to reach that place where "that's all you can stand, and you can't stands no more!" Then, the Popeye Spinach Smoothie.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Been there, still got beat to a pulp

Quote Originally Posted by Exploring Large Format View Post
    You just need to reach that place where "that's all you can stand, and you can't stands no more!" Then, the Popeye Spinach Smoothie.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    Tin Can

I'd love to see an 8 x 10 version of the handy gadget Mamiya made for their TLR's - a little lift that goes between the tripod and the camera base. When you press the lever it raises the entire camera just enough to put the taking lens where the focusing lens was - great for close ups to insure you get the same photo you composed. I have one and it's really quite a good idea. Scaling it up to 8 x 10 would be quite a project - might have to be powered, or worked with a hand crank, though. Or maybe a foot pedal or long handle and a hydraulic pump - you could steal one from an old pallet jack.

I know the Paramender

Good idea

I see your setup on a wood studio camera, a foot lever like a grommet machine

Make is noisy and shock the sitter into an interesting face

Stomp, flash, done

I prefer the viewfinder like on a fixed focus, BIG SHOT Polaroid

No moving parts, works great

I have one with flash cubes and film

When I run out of film and flash I will cut the finder off and add it to a bigger box

Many people have already done that

no tripods allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    I'd love to see an 8 x 10 version of the handy gadget Mamiya made for their TLR's - a little lift that goes between the tripod and the camera base. When you press the lever it raises the entire camera just enough to put the taking lens where the focusing lens was - great for close ups to insure you get the same photo you composed. I have one and it's really quite a good idea. Scaling it up to 8 x 10 would be quite a project - might have to be powered, or worked with a hand crank, though. Or maybe a foot pedal or long handle and a hydraulic pump - you could steal one from an old pallet jack.
    Tin Can

Daniel, that's an amazing set-up! I imagine that is a lot of fun to use. I've only tried a few LF portraits with a Busch Pressman D (4x5), Sinar (5x7) or an 8x10 field camera and have had v. mixed results, in part because I couldn't see the expression or check focus at time I snapped the shutter. That would solve that. An all in one TLR, like a scaled up Rolleiflex, was what I was thinking about when I started this thread. That project is way way out in the future for me if I ever get to it. I want to figure out making film first then figure out making rolls of that film, and then decided on what size. Rollei is about perfect for handheld. But, few subjects work well as contact prints at 6x6cm. I think for the project to worth it to me, I'd have to go toward whole plate size. Thanks to all of y'al for helping keep the dream alive in the middle of this photographic dry spell.