Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kostiner Archival Washer question

Re: Kostiner Archival Washer question

Havs,
    I am looking for a replacement valve as well.
    If you end up fabricating let me know if you would be will to make one for me and what the cost would be.

Thanks

Gary
    "People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - H. Jackson Brown

I have the original model which was given to me by Mr. Kostiner when he came to San Diego for a conference. It has no valve, only an input and drain. It has no opening to input air into the system, but has worked well for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by gary892 View Post
    Havs,
    I am looking for a replacement valve as well.
    If you end up fabricating let me know if you would be will to make one for me and what the cost would be.

Thanks

Gary
    I have recently acquired a Kostiner Archival Washer without a valve mechanism. I would be interested to know how others have solved this problem. I would love to hear from anyone who has successfully fabricated a replacement. Seems like a 3d printer might be able to do the job, but I think you'd need to have an original valve in order to replicate one.

My first inclination was to try using a rubber stopper with a hole driilled out to allow a tube to be inserted. However, after reading the cautionary tales of structural failures, it seems likely that the back pressure of the water's weight would pop the plug out as soon as it got full.

My second idea, born of both laziness and expedience, would be to leave the washer drain open and fill it from the top and let it drain from the bottom. I realize that this isn't optimum, but I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this method and what the results might have been.

Buy a Ziss Air valve for $1.59 - https://www.aquariumcoop.com/product...84ca9c83&_ss=r (or something similar) and cut the threaded shank down the middle about 3/4 of the way as seen the poor snapshot below. You will need hose clamps and possibly PVC adapters to fit the tubes from your water supply to your washer. These items are easily had at any hardware store.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0139.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	218703

N. Riley
    http://normanrileyphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by NER View Post
    Buy a Ziss Air valve for $1.59 - https://www.aquariumcoop.com/product...84ca9c83&_ss=r (or something similar) and cut the threaded shank down the middle about 3/4 of the way as seen the poor snapshot below. You will need hose clamps and possibly PVC adapters to fit the tubes from your water supply to your washer. These items are easily had at any hardware store.

Name:	IMG_0139.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	218703

N. Riley
    Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't considered aquarium supply stores as a possible source. Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I have the original model which was given to me by Mr. Kostiner when he came to San Diego for a conference. It has no valve, only an input and drain. It has no opening to input air into the system, but has worked well for many years.
    I've used mine for decades with no air bubbles, as I replaced the valve myself-to long to explain (I may have it sitting around somewhere). I think the bubbles look cool but serve no real purpose.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Name:	0.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	218790

I have the same Washer, but I never know what is this for? See attached photo. Could you please help me? Thanks

Photographer

I think that’s a “fishing stick” to help pull prints out of the tank between the dividers.

Quote Originally Posted by tax888 View Post

Name:	0.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	218790

I have the same Washer, but I never know what is this for? See attached photo. Could you please help me? Thanks
    Keith Pitman

Yeah, it helps to dig out small prints that have drifted to the bottom of the tank. The guy who sold me mine didn't know what it was for, either.
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I've used mine for decades with no air bubbles, as I replaced the valve myself-to long to explain (I may have it sitting around somewhere). I think the bubbles look cool but serve no real purpose.
    They serve to agitate the print, thereby facilitating removal of thiosulfate residues.

N. Riley