Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World Pinhole Day 2016

World Pinhole Day 2016

Today is World Pinhole Day, so I got up this morning and took my homemade 4x5 pinhole down to a weird herd of rotting gold painted elephants under the highway. The folks that live under the highway deal in trash, and my guess is they got these from a temple getting rid of them, and they set up their own little shrine here. They are made of plaster over wire and painted gold. Some have had minor repairs, like wired on tusks, but others are pretty rotten. These are not too good, but at least I shot some to honor the day. Lets see yours!

Old School Wayne

Re: World Pinhole Day 2016

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img284.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	150015

Fuji 8x10 HR-T X-ray film, f250 @ 8 minutes in Ansco Universal 8x10, with #11 green and #8 yellow filter (why? why not) Rodinal 1:150 7 minutes in tray with only one or three glaring scratches (I put a blank fixed sheet under it and got a lot fewer scratches). Unadulterated straight scan, which I apparently didn't line up to the scanner's liking so one long edge is missing

Tim Sandstrom

Nice work Wayne, ala Sudek!

Old School Wayne

Thanks Tim. I have to give credit to the camera and pepsi can that I flattened, shoved a pin through, and taped to my lens board because I could barely see a thing when I composed it.

I have 7 cameras, 9 pieces of film (1's a 24x10 triptych inside a large cylindrical can) to develop. A nasty cold and pressing work issues delay darkroom time. Plus, my darkroom is only dark after dark and that's pretty late lately. I do hope to join this party in a week or so.

Well, I shot four sheets of 8X10 Xray film, processed two and was disappointed and baffled - I could not figure out what went wrong. I used the same pinhole I used last year with great results, but this batch was horrible - kind of fogged looking with odd splotchy swirls...then it dawned on me - I am pretty sure, judging by the digital pic my girlfriend shot of my set-up, that I inadvertently allowed to sun to shine directly on my pinhole. Oops.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Old School Wayne

Actually I like the effect. Its rather creepy, but it would have been creepy without the effect too. Dolls freak me out.

I've not had success shooting pinhole where the sun impinges directly on the pinhole either. But I have very little experience.

One of the 4 I shot on pinhole day was directly into the sun and had bad flare.

I have a similar effect (even more pronounced) using my Kodak Ektar from the '30s. It happened with bright overhead lights that were facing the lens in the frame. I need to get a lens hood for the lens, I think!