Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CatLabs CL81 experiences

CatLabs CL81 experiences

I'm going to copy/paste this from a post over at SA so apologies to any dorkroomer's who've already seen this post.

Developed my first batch of 8x10's today. I have a few more still drying that look a lot more promising than the first batch (did 2 tanks of 3 sheets)

I am using the CatLabs CL81 in a 2500 tank. Loading the film into this thing is pretty tricky. I am loading it emulsion side inwards (same as mod54) but I'm not sure if this is the right way to go about that. Here you can see the scratching and uneven development mostly top two corners (bottom is vignetted because I used too much rise. This was literally the first photo I took with the camera). This is a straight scan, no adjustments. Using foma200 R09 1:50 , 10 mins.

I also seem to remember reading somewhere that foma is really easy to scratch or something? Either way as I said loading the stuff into the CL81 is really hard and it seems like it would be nearly impossible to load it in without having the edges dragging along the inside of the film guides.

Any ideas on how to get away from scratching the film, otherwise I'm just going to have to compose for a crop....

I have no facilities to set up a dark room so tray development is more or less out of the question for the moment. Even so I've been having a lot of fun playing with the 8x10.

[timg]https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5562/14876240468_b04df65562_b.jpg[/timg]
    First 8x10 scan (for SA) by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Re: CatLabs CL81 problems

Hard for me to see scratches from that image. If it is a contact print are you sure the glass is clean. Zooming in on the image in the link just makes the letters on the page look bigger, the image stays the same size. Maybe you can post a detail of the area in question. Looks like there is a bad light leak in the upper right and less so in the upper left.

Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Is there a reason why you just don't use the ridges in the drum to hold the film?
    Cheers Shane

FWIW I have just started to use a CL81 to do C41 in my ATL1500, I've had no problems at all.

I can't see any image in either link, seems to be a bad link?

When using the MOD54 I found it best to use very gentile agitation, this means HAND INVERSION. If you're using this on a JOBO machine or rolling it instead of inversion, then this is most likely the issue. Looking at the design I can't imagine that it wouldn't scratch with rotation, especially right at the stop&reverse portion of rotation.

Interesting. Guess I am going to have to try mine.

If it cannot handle the Jobo machine then I will probably sell. I have never had a problem when doing 8x10 by hand with my BTZS tubes. The only purpose for my picking up the CL81 was to accomodate machine agitation.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Japan Exposures

Or just use a paper drum to process sheet film...

cat81 works fine for me in the jobo, but I get a scratch along the edge where it loads into the base and the top - but that is no problem.
    This is a good system for x-ray film (if you can put up with the slightly smaller film size due to the scratch.

Have you contacted CatLabs? The owner/rep is a member here, koh303 is his username.