Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kodak T-9 Uranium Toner

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Kodak T-9 Uranium Toner

Quote Originally Posted by dpn View Post
    I'm definitely interested in 5 grams.
    Great! Hopefully a couple more will throw in. In the meantime it appears that uranium nitrate is available as a grey colored compound and a yellowish green compound. Does the color make a difference?

Great links BTW!

Thomas

I'm only familiar with the yellow/green hexahydrate (crystals). Are you sure the grey compound is the same?

Nooo. That's why I asked. The data sheet says it is.

Thomas

If you are after red tones gold after sepia toner works well. Of course I haven't tried it with modern paper. I got really nice brick reds on Ektalure, tone first in sepia toner rinse the follow up with Kodak Blue toner (Gold).

BTW, Uranium nitrate is a very powerful oxidizer, add this to finely divided metal and you go boom. I'm the first person to call out wimp, for people who are afraid of chemicals, having said that I would avoid this stuff. Destroys your kidneys, and waste disposal is another thing.

I just went through a bunch of comparison prints I did in 1983, you can do amazing stuff by combining sepia, brown, followed by sulfocyanate gold toners. Still want to wear gloves with plenty of ventilation..

If you have a passion and the skill go for it, but you want to really know what you're doing.

Best of luck, Mike

Here's what NOAA has to say about it:

Acidic solution in water of uranyl nitrate, a radioactive yellow crystalline solid. Mildly toxic. Contains nitric acid. Noncombustible, but will accelerate the burning of other combustible materials if concentrated or if the water evaporates. Large quantities may explode if exposed to fire. Produces toxic oxides of nitrogen if involved in fire. Radioactive materials emit certain rays which can be detected only by instruments. Unirradiated uranium is only mildly radioactive. Minimal radiation hazard during transportation. No protective shielding is required. Non-fissile (natural or depleted) uranium, containing not more than 1.0% u-235, cannot sustain a nuclear chain reaction.
    https://cameochemicals.noaa.gov/chemical/12958

To be on the safe side, though, I'll wear a mask, gloves, and a lab coat when mixing.

Can anyone comment on Kodak T-9 - its physical appearance, use, and how the prints looked when toned?

Thomas

I have worked with the T9 toner in the past (hi Gary..;-)..), not scared by chemistry (I work in a lab and have access to safety equipment) I later had a chat with a safety officer, which put me down to the ground: UranylNitrate was the only compound thy had to obtain a special licence, because it is so toxic (his words).

Since the results were nice, but by no means spectacular: a nice warm brown tone, which I think can be obtained with other toner (combinations) as well, I decided it was not worth the risks.

Shipped it to Bob Schramm, got one of his uranotypes as exchange; nice but also not spectacular (I tried to expose a sheet of Xray film to it: no image..;-)..) See also http://abbey-hepner.com/work/transur...hepner-com-28/

Be careful...

Best,

Cor

Drew Wiley

It is one of those chemicals I store completely outside the sink room, in a dry area, well sealed up. Potassium permanganate is another one you want to keep dry
    for safety reasons.

Here's a link to Abbey Hepner's "Transuranic" series of uranotypes. Neat stuff:

http://abbey-hepner.com/#/work/transuranic/

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by dpn View Post
    Here's a link to Abbey Hepner's "Transuranic" series of uranotypes. Neat stuff:
    From the almost terra cotta color, I can tell she's using potassium ferracyanide as the developer. There are quite a few variations in the uranium printing process; I always liked the silver nitrate developer myself.

I still have maybe a quarter pound of reagent grade uranium nitrate from my uranium printing days back in the late '70's/early '80's. I doubt I'll ever get back to that, so I can beat their price and send whatever amount you finally need, as long as shipping isn't too complicated...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."