Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need a very slow motor (like 1 RPM).

Re: Need a very slow motor (like 1 RPM).

You need an inexpensive barbecue spit turner, the kind that uses a pair of D cell batteries? You can most likely find one at a home center, like Lowe's or Home Depot, or a Walmart. I have one that I tried to use for a small project engine and it turned so slowly, with new batteries that I thought it was broken, but nope, it worked as the engineers begat it. This type motor has good tork and can 'spin' a fair amount of weight. Its also cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by eli View Post
    You need an inexpensive barbecue spit turner, the kind that uses a pair of D cell batteries? You can most likely find one at a home center, like Lowe's or Home Depot, or a Walmart. I have one that I tried to use for a small project engine and it turned so slowly, with new batteries that I thought it was broken, but nope, it worked as the engineers begat it. This type motor has good tork and can 'spin' a fair amount of weight. Its also cheap.
    What a GREAT idea!

Thanks,
    Terry

The well known auction site and/or well known search engine both produce lots of hits for '1 rpm geared motor'. DC motors will produce a variable speed with voltage; AC motors will lock to the mains frequency.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by barnacle View Post
    The well known auction site and/or well known search engine both produce lots of hits for '1 rpm geared motor'. DC motors will produce a variable speed with voltage; AC motors will lock to the mains frequency.

Neil
    What's going on here? Why not just say Ebay and Google??

Thank you for the information, it is helpful.

You're welcome.

I'm still newish here and feeling my way around referencing other sites. I don't want to derail your thread into a bunfest... My preference would have been to point directly to an example, but that certainly seems to be frowned upon.

With regard to your problem, geared AC motors with accurate speeds - or at least, usually consistent speeds - are quite common and inexpensive, and probably ideal to your requirement. If you need to control a specific speed other than one that comes out of the box, you are almost always better off with gears rather than electronics for continuous rotation, although with the right controllers stepper motors can be very precise - but they're expensive.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by barnacle View Post
    You're welcome.

I'm still newish here and feeling my way around referencing other sites. I don't want to derail your thread into a bunfest... My preference would have been to point directly to an example, but that certainly seems to be frowned upon.

With regard to your problem, geared AC motors with accurate speeds - or at least, usually consistent speeds - are quite common and inexpensive, and probably ideal to your requirement. If you need to control a specific speed other than one that comes out of the box, you are almost always better off with gears rather than electronics for continuous rotation, although with the right controllers stepper motors can be very precise - but they're expensive.

Neil
    As far as I know there is no rule against pointing out an example on eBay or anywhere else. I do believe there is a rule against pointing to where one is selling their own item on eBay.

Thank you for the information about geared motors. There are a kazillion on FleaBay, I just have no idea what might work for my purposes. (See my next note.)

Quote Originally Posted by eli View Post
    Today I dropped into my local Lowe's store to visit their BBQ section.

I found a motorized BBQ Rotiserie kit for about US $30 but very little technical information was printed on the outside of the box. I will be going to the manufacturer's website to see what I can find out.

Universal Rotiserie
    Char-Broil, LLC
    Columbus, Georgia USA
    www.CharBroil.com
    Item #9768102

Update:
    OK, I went to the manufacturer's website and they fail to show a product with that model number. They do have a similar Model number: 9468102. Yet there is absolutely no information about the minimum or maximum number of RPMs! For a product that rotates, I would think that is important information, yet it is not there.

I did send them a query about the number of RPMs. Let's wait to see their reply.

http://www.charbroil.com/universal-rotisserie

Reply received: 2 RPM (only). So I would need to figure a way to gear it up or down to control the speed I want when I am creating my photographs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160508_144307.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	150621
    Last edited by AtlantaTerry; 8-May-2016 at 15:45. Reason: polishing what I wrote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Surplus shed have geared motor with an output of 2/3 RPM. Their Ref M2106P price $8.50 "
    20th April

One gets very pissed off when a suggestion is totally ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by normanv View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Surplus shed have geared motor with an output of 2/3 RPM. Their Ref M2106P price $8.50 "
    20th April

One gets very pissed off when a suggestion is totally ignored.
    I'm not ignoring your suggestion. I have been looking at ready-made devices that have variable speeds rather than try to build something myself.