Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Schneider Lens Issue

Re: Schneider Lens Issue

Great! And even better if you are one of the rare folks who finds this a long term solution. Watch out for fog on the internal surfaces of the glass as your lubricant outgasses.

Eek, WD40 (or similar) floating around in there. Really that lens/shutter needs to go and be cleaned properly very soon, if you want to use it for more than a few months. It is honestly not a sensible way to 'fix' the problem.

Andy Eads
    Pasco, Washington - the dry side of the state

Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    Eek, WD40 (or similar) floating around in there. Really that lens/shutter needs to go and be cleaned properly very soon, if you want to use it for more than a few months. It is honestly not a sensible way to 'fix' the problem.
    I have to agree. Proper shutter lubricants are chosen because they don't migrate. Most lubricants are designed to penetrate and they will...into the worst places in your shutter and lens.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    I don't see him saying that he did use WD40 but if he did he obviously does not know what it does. WD40 leaves a lasting deposit on whatever it is sprayed on. If it was on the shutter blades , which should be dry and not lubricated, then the shutter speed timings will be incorrect. The shutter, then, will require professional service even more then it did before.

I have two Compur 2's that are a little off. I wouldn't dream of trying to fix them myself. They're both going to SKG for a CLA next week.

Hi all, thanks for all your posts. I can report happily that the shutter is still working perfectly! Really enjoying using film again. As soon as I have the negs scanned from my shoot yesterday I will happily post the results for you to see. The lens is fantastic and it's a joy to be using 5x4 rather than the Canon 5dmkiii i use for all my commerical work.