Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fastish lens options - 200mm to 250mm

Fastish lens options - 200mm to 250mm

Hi Folks,

As per my recent activities on this forum, I am in the midst of Tin Type fever. One of my biggest limitations is the glass I am currently using and I would like to find a longer normal lens that is (relatively) fast - something that can do at least F5.6 or better still, F4.

I am on the lookout for brass lenses, but I am also open to something mounted with a shutter.

Without breaking the bank, can anyone suggest lenses that I might be able to look for? Doesn't need to be modern, but must be able to cover 4x5 (but with minimal movements).

Cheers

Re: Fastish lens options - 200mm to 250mm

What about a 210mm or 250mm f4.5 Tessar, there's a 210mm f3.5 Tessar also similar Xenars. They are quite cheap and easy to find in a barrel if you don't need a shutter, and if you're lucky not much in a shutter either, I paid about £30 ($45) for my CZJ 210 f4.5 Tessar in a Comound #3 last year.

Ian

Ian, that sounds pretty good. The idea for this lens would be to shoot tin types, so it really doesn't need to be of the utmost quality. As for a shutter, in this case, I would prefer it.

I am still going to keep an eye out for a Petzval of some sort, but such a lens might work fine for what I want to do.

Cheers

Lachlan 717

8" Pentac. $350-500, depending on condition and marking/branding.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Re, the tessar, what are the Russian reproductions like? What shutter would you mount them in?

Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    Re, the tessar, what are the Russian reproductions like? What shutter would you mount them in?
    I'd use a Thornton Pickard roller blind shutter but then I have one or two, well maybe more like 50

For what you want a Russian lenses would be OK if cheap enough. An alternative shutter would be the Luc (or similar) front mounting type, usually Z M and I, equivalent to T, B and one fixed Instant speed usually around 1/50 to 1/100.

Ian

Yes, go with a 8" f/2.9 Pentac. It's easily the easiest to find in this length, sharper than the Xenars generally, and pretty reasonably priced. No shutters easily done though.

If you are shooting wetplate, you absolutely do not need a shutter of any kind. Wetplate is about ISO 1, so in most lighting, you'll be between a 2 second and 20 second exposure. A shutter isn't going to do that for you. A lens cap will.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    If you are shooting wetplate, you absolutely do not need a shutter of any kind. Wetplate is about ISO 1, so in most lighting, you'll be between a 2 second and 20 second exposure. A shutter isn't going to do that for you. A lens cap will.
    Sometimes people want a shutter so the same lens can be used with film. I restored one of my larger front mounting Thornton Pickard shutters for a wet-plate worker because she also wanted to shoot conventional film portraits with her Darlot.

It's useful to have options available, I can use my Petzval with a front mounted shutter or on my Speed Graphic, but I also have a Half plate focal plane shutter that I can fit to an early British field camera.

Ian

True, versatility is nice. But that's not what the OP asked for. He asked for the cheapest way to shoot wetplate, somewhat longer lens for his format, and around F4.5. That would be a Tessar in barrel, simply. Adding a shutter adds cost, and is not needed to do wetplate. He didn't say "I also want to shoot film with this lens."