Thread: Santa Cruz, CA: Immediate-area, easily accessible spots?

Santa Cruz, CA: Immediate-area, easily accessible spots?

Going to be in Santa Cruz today and tomorrow with my 14-yr old son and a couple of his friends who will be skateboarding. Can't bring the Wista this time instead opting for my Rolleiwide. Any suggestions of good spots I can jet off to after dropping them at the skateboard park both days? Can't be too far away. I'm fairly familiar with the area living not too far away but thought I'd see what suggestions you all might have too. Thanks.

Re: Santa Cruz, CA: Immediate-area, easily accessible spots?

Lots of places---the steam railroad and big trees in Felton, the "Garden of Eden" off the road to Felton. There also a covered bridge in the area.
    For surf there are plenty of State Beaches between Santa Cruz and Monterey , and of course Natural Bridges State Beach in Santa Cruz.
    At night, there's "dog poop park"---across the San Lorenzo river on the bluff overlooking the Boardwalk---you can capture the lights on the amusement rides on B&W for a "look" reminiscent of the Chicago World's Fair. Watch your step! The Boardwalk doesn't allow for tripods, sadly.

The prawn burrito at Palomar makes a memorable lunch or if you find yourself points South try Phil's Fish Shack in Moss Landing. Aldos across from the yacht harbor has delicious fare as well, and Cole's B-B-Q between Santa Cruz and Capitola.

From the breakwater across the the way you can---if you're patient( have lots of time to waste) photograph some of the old time looking sloops as they exit the channel with the light house in the back ground---I've always thought this would be cool subject for an alternative process.

Have fun!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Thanks John. We just stopped in Scott's Valley and will be in SC in a couple hours. Great suggestions. I appreciate it,

John, I'm guessing "dog poop park" is Oceanview Park?

Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    John, I'm guessing "dog poop park" is Oceanview Park?
    No, this is a little park, I believe it is attached to Seabright Beach some how(If you fell off the bluff you'd land in either the San Lorenzo or on Seabright) Accessed through the residential area west of the bridge that crosses the tracks. It's generally full of dog poop so don't wear good shoes and set up before the sun sets. Lots of folks smoking wacky tobaccy and tripping off my LF camera at sunset there. It's sort of like walking on the the set of a Cheech and Chong movie with a rhinoceros on a leash, but the lights at night are worth it---use a longer lens (I use a 19" on my 8x10) to fill up the gg.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White