Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is anti-Newton ring glass exactly

Re: What is anti-Newton ring glass exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    There is no way you can make an enlargement that looks like a a contact print. As the light passes through the lens there is always some degradation of the image, however slight.
    Man, You speak the Truth. I'm always so impressed with contact prints. I've laid away a bit of of Foma's chloride Azo substitute. I've made 8 x10 contact prints, really nice.

You can also try anti-glare framing glass, the kind with a slight texture on one side. It works for some, and for others the texture comes through in the print. The advantage is that it's cheap and easy to find.
    +1
    Meaning glass, not acrylic. And as Peter de Smidt said, the kind that is slightly frosted, not the super-expensive vacuum-coated "museum" glass. I use a piece of anti-glare framing glass, cheap, tape 120 film to it (flatness!) in conjunction wit BetterScanning holder. Works, I do not see the texture of the glass. Make sure it is the frosted side that is in contact with the film. Of course, there is probably not one single type worldwide, so no guarantee that the glass from the framing supply shop at your place will work as well. You may have to try a few.

Hi all, has anyone found any suppliers of anti-newton glass that don’t charge a small fortune for small runs?

Is AN glass or flatbed glass tempered??

If not, and flatbed scanner glass would make a nice substitute, you could scavenge the glass from flatbed scanners and cut it to size on a waterjet.

I have access to a waterjet; I can ask the types of glass it can cut. Just about the only think it *can't* cut is tempered glass.

I’ve scavenged scanner glass from 3 or 4 consumer grade scanners, only one had tempered glass. So the answer is some do some don’t. You’ll know pretty quickly if you try and cut it.

Roger

Is all scanner glass AN (tempered or not) and adequate to make a negative carrier from?

Quote Originally Posted by LFPete View Post
    Is all scanner glass AN (tempered or not) and adequate to make a negative carrier from?
    No it is not. I think an understanding of what Newton Rings are is important to this discussion. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton%27s_rings

AN glass can be used in glass carriers for the top glass, the negative is sandwiched between two glasses... the bottom glass it has to be clear glass because if not the image would be blurred, but as usually the emulsion side of the film is in contact with the bottom glass there are less chances to produce rings there, as the emulsion side is usually rough enough.

Awesome, thanks, I'm going to have to rebuild my Durst Laraneg 10x10.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    AN glass can be used in glass carriers for the top glass, the negative is sandwiched between two glasses... the bottom glass it has to be clear glass because if not the image would be blurred, but as usually the emulsion side of the film is in contact with the bottom glass there are less chances to produce rings there, as the emulsion side is usually rough enough.

Awesome, thanks, I'm going to have to rebuild my Durst Laraneg 10x10.
    Image won’t be blurred if one has AN glass on the bottom but it could be slightly diffused. After all, Gepe made medium format glass mounts and some had AN glass on both sides.