Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommended 8x10 holders

Recommended 8x10 holders

I am a hobbyist with a new to me Deardorff. I am more concerned about quality, ease of use, best rather than value. While weight may be a valid concern, I don't see much back packing with this. How many do most have? Wood vs plastic? Any other considerations?

Regards

Ken

Re: Recommended 8x10 holders

Any that are in good shape.
    I have 27 plastic holders for 8x10, about 40 for 4x5, and 10 for 4x10. All plastic.

I have maybe 18 8x10 wood holders, bought a couple at a time, strictly based on price, and am happy with them. I did have to buy a roll of book backing tape and replace some of the hinges, but I made a rule I wouldn't pay over $25 per holder, so I'm still very ahead. I think it's a mistake to believe that wood holders warp. Mine aren't, and if they were, I could well afford to throw one out. If you're worried about wood warping, don't buy any wood camera!

I bought the 8x10 holders based on Vinny's tank holding six hangers. For 5x7 and 4x5, I just bought everything, wood or plastic, that I saw for a while that was under my price limit (that was $4 for 4x5--I don't remember what for 5x7) until I had more than I will ever need--maybe 60 for 4x5, 40 for 5x7. Remember: what you shoot you will still have to develop. Vinny's big tank holds 6-8x10, 12-5x7, 24-4x5, and in my opinion (Vinny's) tank and hangers is the way to go, using only Kodak hangers (they knew better than anyone how to make a hanger that wouldn't mark the film!)

It is very easy to see in photos if a holder is worn. Look at the corners for ones where the leading corners aren't battered. Most of the smaller ones I have bought, I just held until I saw ones that were nearly brand new. A surprising number for sale appear to be unused, even in 8x10, so wait for those.

I don't think wood weighs more than plastic, but it does take a bit more space. I worry about plastic and static cling, myself, which is one reason I didn't seek them out.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

For wood holders I prefer the black ones marked "Graflex made for Eastman Kodak" In good condition, they are very usable.
    For plastic holders, I prefer Lisco Regal.
    However any used holders can give you problems---so check them out for leaks first with photo paper, and also for warping.
    Nothing wrong with Ansco and Fidelity if they are in good working condition.
    Have fun!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

TOYO-VIEW -- z-best bar none.

Thomas

Some additional thoughts:
    A little wax (Pledge, beeswax candle stubs, or Butcher's Wax is what I use) rubbed on the edges of the dark slides will help them smoothly slide into place.
    I've invested in a small shop vac with micro attachments dedicate to cameras and film holders---great for beating those dust devils.
    Book binder's tape, or even gaffer's tape can be used to re-tape the hinges.Use an Exacto knife to make precision cuts.
    With wooden holders, you can find replacement "ells" at the hardware store and cut to length. A few swipes with a file takes care of the sharp edges.
    You may be able to repair some damage to plastic holders with two part epoxy---add black pigment to match.
    Don't throw away bad film holders---banish them to a "cannibal" box . Dark slides, hinge flaps, etc... can be used to repair other holders which develop a need for donor parts.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

As I have been able to fnd wooden holders with metal plates on the end where dark slides are inserted I have been able to get rid of all plastic holders.I have never had a light leak or warping with the wooden ones, but warping of the lip where slides are inserted in the plastic ones has ruined more than a few images.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Any that are in good shape.
    I have 27 plastic holders for 8x10, about 40 for 4x5, and 10 for 4x10. All plastic.
    I agree with Vinny. I've got 10 8x10 holders and 10 4x5 holders, all plastic. I bought them little by little and slowly upgraded the more worn holders I had to ones that look close to new as I found deals on Ebay. I do favor the Toyos. I've got 5 of them for 4x5 but none for 8x10. Any brand will work though. Look for ones in great shape at affordable prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Look for ones in great shape at affordable prices.
    +1

Most of mine came from Clayton Classic Camera which advertised in Shutterbug. They'd send a stack from a closed out studio and I'd test them and send back any leakers for a replacement. IIRC $45 would buy three plastics, $35 would get three woods. Brooklyn Camera had the same kind of deal.