Thread: It's eBay time: sources for older/obscure lens boards? + more

It's eBay time: sources for older/obscure lens boards? + more

Well, I'm hunting for a bargain on a monorail 4x5, and most of my candidates are rather older cameras, and most don't include lenses. Some of them come with boa rds, but seeing as I haven't yet bought a lens, I'm worried I may end up with a board drilled to the wrong size. So, among the factors determining my choice in cameras is the cost/availability of lens boards for the suckers. Can anyone comm ent on said same with regards to the following cameras: Omega 45E/45D, Linhof Co lor Kardan 45s, Kodak View Master (4x5), older Calumets? How much does it really cost to have boards fabricated? Seeing as this is my fir st LF camera, should I even consider buying an incomplete camera (ie non-package )? My choices are really limited to what's available on eBay; the catalogs/ads I 've looked at are rather exorbitantly priced. Any sources for a starter monorail I haven't considered?

I know this is a lot of questions in one question... any guidance is really appr eciated. (yes, I've already combed the archives...)

Thanks a ton.

You shouldn't have too much trouble finding boards for the Calumet/Kodak master - I am assuming they are interchangeable. I don't know Linhofs, but Bob Salomon at H.P. markteing does. Some manufacturers have standardized on the Linhof board becuase it's a good product.

You can always make your own boards from masonite, wood, etc. Another option is that if the camera comes with a board, but no lens, you can get the board adapted to take one of the more common sizes Graflex, Linhof, etc. assuming they'll fit. Go to www.calumetphoto.com they used to stock boards for various brands of cameras. Also www.stephenshuart.com

There's a fella in Colorado who will fabricate lens boards from A.B.S. plastic, Al Bowker. If you look in the archives for the question "Kodak Master View Lens board" or something similar, you will find I have posted his phone number. ALso Jim Galvin and possibly Mr. Steven Grimes (www.skgrimes.com) can help you out.

Really, it's not a big deal provided you know where to look - Shutterbug, View Camera, etc. and go with a reputable firm. It is an added expense like multiple film holders, dark cloth, loupe, etc. etc. etc.

I can't comment on the Omega, but Calumet assumed production of the Kodak so they are identical. A big plus is a lever to open the spring-loaded back for insertion of the film holder without moving the camera. A minus is the lack of Graflock type back for roll film adapters. The Graphic View II with Graflock back is more expensive, but also a lot more rugged. I currently have a Linhof Color Kardan 45S. Linhof was said to have lost money on every one they produced bacause it was made to the same standards as their main Kardan line. It takes Technica lensboards which are readily available, but overpriced. These are all good choices, but I believe the Graphic View II is the best starter.

" I currently have a Linhof Color Kardan 45S. Linhof was said to have lost money on every one they produced bacause it was made to the same standards as their main Kardan line. It takes Technica lensboards which are readily available, but overpriced. These are all good choices, but I believe the Graphic View II is the best starter. "

1: The Kardan Color 45S uses Kardan lens boards. The only way to use Technika ones is with an adapter board.

The Kardan Color used Technika boards as did the Kardan 45.

2: Sorry Linhof did not lose money on them. In fact it was so successful that a new version is being introduced next week, The Kardan M.

While the Kardan Color 45 S sold new for $199.99 in its day prices have gone up.

This one will have a price = to or less than the lowest priced monorails and is upgradable to a Kardan GT!

Try Stephen Shuart's web site. He carries a lot of different sizes of lens boards, and will also custom make them, as well as drill them for you.

Check out www.classiccamera.com. Paul has a ton of older lensboards and cameras.

Give him a call. Tell him I sent you.