Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Photographs of Historic Buildings

Re: Photographs of Historic Buildings

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    If my memory is right, you may be thinking about the Johnson & Johnson corporate headquarters building. Or 3M?

Might Frank Lloyd Wright have been the architect?
    HMG LFPF member from MPLS got it right with http://www.butlersquare.com/

Very impressive building, especially if you examine the huge spars!

Further discussion revealed I knew the guy who renovated it.
    Tin Can

Pete Oakley

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MH 3 Resized.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	149311
    One of the buildings at Middleton Hall, North Warwickshire. The oldest building on this site dates back to 1285.
    Pete.

This is a dovecote found at mayfield park. Here's the back story:

"The cottage—built sometime between 1860 and 1880 on plantation land belonging to Judge Robert J. Townes—passed through many hands until 1909, when Allison Mayfield (1860-1923), former Texas Secretary of State and then-Chairman of the Texas Railroad Commission, purchased it and the proximate acreage for a weekend home. He left it, upon his death, to his daughter Mary Mayfield Gutsch. Over the next half-century, Mary and her husband, Milton, a University of Texas history professor, transformed their homestead into a showpiece graced with pools and peafowl and the Texas plant life Mary nurtured with the help of a trusted gardener."........."Next to it stands a circular rubble-stone dovecote in which Professor Gutsch once raised fancy white Moorhead pigeons."

One of the buildings at Middleton Hall, North Warwickshire

Nice old building, Pete!

What is the proper technical term in English to denote this kind of building made of wood frames and brick combined, like in Germany; or like in Alsace or near Troyes (in France)?
    I have in mind the expression "half-timbered house" but I'm not sure if this is UK-English or another dialect

I think it is technically a timbered house. Half-timbered is reserved for buildings which have lower parts in stone, rubble, flint or, occasionally, brick. Around the Elizabethan era the filling up with often fancy brickwork became quite popular amongst the wealthy and there were revivals around the Arts and Crafts time too.

For builders, the advantage of a timber framed house is that it can be put together ove a few days on site - rather like the IKEA concept and the roof can finished quickly. Most timber framed houses where I live have had the original fillings between the oak timbers, which was a hassel lattice with clay, sand and horse manure mixed together. As most timber frames get a little decrepit after many hundreds of years, the fillling has been replaced by brickwork to stabilise the building.

I think this later is the case with this building at Middleton Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    I think it is technically a timbered house. Half-timbered is reserved for buildings which have lower parts in stone, rubble, flint or, occasionally, brick....
    Thank you, Steven, for the explanations.
    So "timbered" is the proper term.

Some really nice images are being shared; exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks!

Pete Oakley

If you call this type of building half timbered everybody here will know what you mean. Most of them (as far as I know) started life with daub and wattle between the timbers but in many cases this was removed and replaced with bricks.
    Pete.

Livingston,Montana BN train station,4x5 sinar f, 120mm fuji, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Exterior_dnr.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	149642

Here's a terrific historic house just around the corner from me, which I've long admired. Built in 1848 by Alfred Fyler, it is located in what then was the small community of Split Rock outside of Syracuse, now just a part of the outer suburbs in Onondaga Hill. In 1848, this would have been a bit of a retro styled house with the more obviously Greek Revival then still in fashion in our neighborhood.

Fyler was a terse, tight-fisted widower when he built this house for his young and vivacious wife, Ruth. Alas, Ruth was viciously murdered in the house in 1854. Her husband was convicted of the murder, but rather than sentencing him death the judge remanded him to the Utica State Asylum for the Insane, from which he was released after a year, deemed cured. He returned home, but spiraled downward into paranoia and committed suicide as he attempted to flee his imagined pursuers. As a later article about he case noted, "He lived dishonored and died unmourned." The rumors of the house being haunted have, of course, continued to the present.

This is one of my early views with my new-to-me Korona 8x10, using a 360 Graphic Kowa on Ilford FP4, scanned on an Epson 750, on a day with lovely morning sunlight which belied the gruesome story.

Bruce

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Howlett Hill Rd 360.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	150383