Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Photographs of Historic Buildings

Re: Photographs of Historic Buildings

Quote Originally Posted by Reinhold Schable View Post
    . . Adobe church in Taos Pueblo, New Mexico.
    . . Taos, New Mexico by Reinhold S., on Flickr. . Neg# TCHI 212. 4x5 Tachihara, 135mm, Yg filter, PXP film. 1986

More historic stuff here... https://www.flickr.com/photos/154287...57672894942988

Reinhold
    I Really like the tonality here...

Reinhold, nice photograph. How did you get permission to photograph inside the Pueblo? As of '12 when I was there, picture-making was quite restricted.

Mark,
    Thanks for the compliment.
    It was a slow day back in October '86... I had to get a permit for the 4x5 and an RB67 on a tripod.
    Other than that, we felt quite welcome.
    Maybe the flood of digi-snappers intruding in their conservative traditional life has changed their attitude...

i'm sure that must be it. IIRC you could get a permit... but the details escape me now. A wonderful place to visit, on many levels, and certainly I was made to feel welcome.
    You did a fine job with the almost ethereal light one finds in that part of the world.
    Quite different from Tucson, where I live now, although it's just as brilliant. I could spend a long time photographing there... just like all of our distinguished predecessors. Now I want to go back... only 650 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Very nice image.
    Many thanks. The light was harsh though so I shall try again (front of the church next time)

Quote Originally Posted by Reinhold Schable View Post
    Mark,
    Thanks for the compliment.
    It was a slow day back in October '86... I had to get a permit for the 4x5 and an RB67 on a tripod.
    Other than that, we felt quite welcome.
    Maybe the flood of digi-snappers intruding in their conservative traditional life has changed their attitude...
    Interesting.
    I was there in the late 90's and was rudely told that I could not photograph. I respect the Native point of view and traditions, but rudeness is not usually one of these (my wife is Native American...). I left and will not return.

Doremus

Good job. The last time I visited TAos the church was being having adobe reapplied in alternating 2 foot horizontal stripes of white and natural red adobe.

In order to photograph in the Pueblo, it is necessary to apply for a permit, listing the cameras, and the use to which the image will be subjected, prior to entering the gate. There may be a charge now, but of the several times i have been there, i haven't had a problem so long as I inquired 1st and followed their rules.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Strafford, VT.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	195219

I've posted this elsewhere on this forum, but it seems to belong in this thread. This is the Town House, Strafford, VT. Built 1799. And yes, it is referred to as the Town House and not the town hall. But I may be the only one who finds that interesting. Their website, https://www.straffordvt.org/history, claims this to be "the most photographed building in Vermont". I don't doubt it. But I didn't seek it out. I drove down the road and there it was, a very pleasant surprise while out photographing that morning!

This photograph is from about 1983 which is around the time I first started experimenting with large format photography. This was made on 4x5, probably Tri-X and almost certainly developed in HC-110 B. My camera then (my first 4x5) was a Wista 45DX and my only lens then was a Nikkor-W 210 (with a yellow filter here).

Although pleasing, the shot is a bit too static for my taste. But it does reflect my impression of New England with its deliberate and measured pace of life. Still, I would love to have an opportunity to go back and re-shoot it now, some 36 years later.
    Last edited by William Whitaker; 7-Sep-2019 at 11:50.

Sheffield Cathedral at night.

Intrepid 4x5 mk4
    75mm
    Kodak Ektar
    Bellini C41 kit

6 min exposure.

Inside Sheffield Cathedral at night by Brett Little, on Flickr