Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Photographs of Historic Buildings

Re: Photographs of Historic Buildings

Quote Originally Posted by Dan O'Farrell View Post
    "...
    > Buildings should have been built prior to 1950...."

Good Lord, I've become an historical artifact !!
    Only if you're built like a brick sh.....

Never mind.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

I like this thread idea. More photos!

Here's one, this is The Crescent in Lowndes County, built in 1898. I don't remember any details (shot this 4 years ago) except it was taken with my Nikkor 90mm f/8, likely on T-Max 100:

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Do you know the large Minneapolis office building that was constructed of huge wood uprights. The trees were nearly the size of California Redwoods. The building was downtown and the wood verticals were at least 8 stories tall.

I saw the building a long time ago, my memory fails on name and exact location. I would love to see images of that building and revisit it one day.

Few know or remember the upper Midwest once had massive trees however every single giant tree was cut down.
    It might be Butler Square. I'm in what was a warehouse district - older buildings here with wood beams up to 2 feet square. But in the downtown office area, many historic buildings were demolished in the name of progress. Tall buildings here started using steel frames around 1900, so I suspect an 8 story wood beam building would have been built earlier. You'd probably find it here.

Logging of pine along the Mississippi and St. Croix rivers in the mid-1800s drove much of the settlement of this area. Much of that logging was out-and-out illegal as it was on land owned by Ojibwe and Dakota. The logging that was not out-and-out illegal relied on treaties that were, most of the time, deceptive and/or reneged upon. Not our finest moment.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled thread:

This building started life in the 1880s as a hotel. In 1915, it became the Commutator Brass Foundry (rear section and smokestack not in photograph) and that name - Commutator Foundry building - continues on. I don't know when it stopped being used as a foundry, but in the post-WWI period was used as offices. Currently a home good "boutique" is on the main level. Nice stuff but expensive.

This shot taken with my Travelwide.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Commutator Building001 4x5.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	149027

It must have been Butler Square. This is an edit. I read everything else first.

I looked at the sad old destroyed buildings and read the droll commentary, but my building was not here.

The building I am thinking of was still there in the 80's at least and I think an upscale fashion hub. Exposed wood beam. You could touch it. You could look straight up at a high center courtyard. I have searched many times, never find it and my source, my father has passed.

Perhaps some emails to relatives still there will find it.

Thanks for the history. I love old buildings, the odder the better.
    Last edited by Tin Can; 29-Mar-2016 at 20:18. Reason: Yes, Butler Square!

Bill Kostelec

The Spokane Public Bath, 1912. changing house for the first public swimming pools in Spokane. Too many kids were dying in the river in the hot summers and behind the camera two pools were built outdoors. The original pools are long gone. I shot this in the early 90's with an Eastman 2d 8X10 with a Protar VII in a B&L compound shutter. Still a sweet lens and shutter today. Presently the building is on the Historic Register, but filled with lawn bowling supplies behind the modern Witter Pool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spokane Public Bath FINALsmall.jpg  

Bill Kostelec

Name:	Central School front small.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	149031 The Central School building has a bronze emblem attached to the front saying it is on the National Historic register as a 19th century school for what was once a thriving farming community served by more than one railroad line, all of which have disappeared or hidden by overgrowth. We found this accidentally just exploring and I did a Walker Evans thing as seemed appropriate at the time with a 4X5 and a 210 Symmar.

Tim Sandstrom

I really like the detail and history behind the "Spokane Public Bath", and appreciate the Walker Evans approach to the school building as well...

Here's one the the Rockefeller-built "Gatehouses" in Acadia National Park, whose stone and wood exteriors
    evoke medieval French architecture...

this is with a 110mm lens on a 4x5

Name:	img506web.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	149045

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Does this thread already cover the topic ? http://www.largeformatphotography.in...Buildings-Plus
    It's a good thread, broad, and well populated.

But, I think that historic architecture can be very cool. I thought it worthwhile to begin a thread just for this subcategory.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    It's a good thread, broad, and well populated.

But, I think that historic architecture can be very cool. I thought it worthwhile to begin a thread just for this subcategory.
    I agree, and I think the [excellent] images posted to this thread already demonstrate the need for this specific sub-category. Thanks!

Nice idea for a thread! I'm a historian by trade, not a photographer, so this is a treat to see.

Lately I've been donating my time on behalf of the Preservation League of NY State to do some photographs of the most threatened historic sites around the state, which they've identified as their Seven to Save (http://www.preservenys.org/seven-to-save---2016-17.html). I've done a few of the sites so far, including this building, the Dutch Reformed Church in Newburgh, a small city in the Hudson River Valley. It is a Greek Revival masterpiece designed by A.J. Davis and completed in 1835, and is now in rough shape. It remains water-tight, though, and has had some restoration work done to stabilize the structure. The hope is that it can find a new use, and remain in place.

It is now surrounded by modern buildings, with parking very nearly up to the portico. I did this view in the early evening, after the employees of the school district had left work and opened up just enough space in front of the building for a clean view of the portico.

4x5, Shen Hao, 150mm Fujinon, TMY.

Bruce

Name:	DRC Facade looking NE 2.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	149208