Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img021sm_lomoO2_600mm_foma100.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	212807
    More photo to my instagram:
    www.instagram.com/dendorff_bw

Re: Photographs of Historic Buildings

You may be thinking of Butler Square, a former warehouse and office building in Minneapolis. The building is located within the Minneapolis warehouse district and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971. The walls are masonry but the interior is built with heavy timber posts and beams, cut from Douglas fir grown near Aitkin, Minnesota. The columns are 24in wide at the bottom level, gradually diminishing to 9in wide on the top level. Wikipedia has an article on Butler Square with more information and a photograph.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Do you know the large Minneapolis office building that was constructed of huge wood uprights. The trees were nearly the size of California Redwoods. The building was downtown and the wood verticals were at least 8 stories tall.

I saw the building a long time ago, my memory fails on name and exact location. I would love to see images of that building and revisit it one day.

Few know or remember the upper Midwest once had massive trees however every single giant tree was cut down.

Interesting - I just read about the building.

Megapixel,
    At the bottom of your comments on Butler Square is a link to PhotoMidwest.org. I clicked on that link for info on PhotoMidwest, and got a dose of reality. The site, in listing its programs, included ". . .alternative processes (film and related processes. . . ." It made me realize that film itself is an alternative process. Didn't like it, but it is true.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Megapixel View Post
    You may be thinking of Butler Square, a former warehouse and office building in Minneapolis. The building is located within the Minneapolis warehouse district and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971. The walls are masonry but the interior is built with heavy timber posts and beams, cut from Douglas fir grown near Aitkin, Minnesota. The columns are 24in wide at the bottom level, gradually diminishing to 9in wide on the top level. Wikipedia has an article on Butler Square with more information and a photograph.
    Butler Square is one of the few "grand old buildings" still remaining in Minneapolis. Many were torn down during the so-called revitalization effort of the 60s and 70s. These building had large, open areas in the center, from floor to roof, to allow light and ventilation (before air conditioning). These open areas made them inefficient as office buildings later in life. One example: http://collections.mnhs.org/MNHistor...03p112-115.pdf

It is amazing in person

we cut down every giant tree back in the day

however only yesterday I was watching a history which described complete deforestation to make temples 1000's of years ago

the people had to leave

Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    Butler Square is one of the few "grand old buildings" still remaining in Minneapolis. Many were torn down during the so-called revitalization effort of the 60s and 70s. These building had large, open areas in the center, from floor to roof, to allow light and ventilation (before air conditioning). These open areas made them inefficient as office buildings later in life. One example: http://collections.mnhs.org/MNHistor...03p112-115.pdf
    Tin Can

This thread has been dormant for a little while, perhaps it is time to bring it back. About a year ago I had the wonderful opportunity to do the HAER documentation of one of the engine and propulsion systems test stands at NASA's White Sands Test Facility in New Mexico. It was my first time in NM, and my first chance to do any photographs in the desert. It was a hoot, I had a great time, and the test stand was a fantastic subject to photograph.

The facility was built in 1963-64, and the subject of my work was first built in 1964 and then substantially altered in 1965 when a circular altitude test chamber was added to the top of it. It is rather distressing that something younger than me is now historic, but there you are. It certainly did have an important part to play in the Apollo program, where elements of the lunar excursion module and the lunar command and service module were tested. Here is a rather stately view of the test stand and its surrounding buildings, seen across what was originally the wastewater drain.

Horseman L45, TMAX 400, g-claron 305mm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1 WSTF TS 302 looking  E across arroyo.jpg  

Dynamometer
    Tin Can

Not exactly a Historic Building but it is a historic site. This Nacoochee Indian burial mound sits just outside of Helen GA. This mound is a reconstruction as the original was excavated by the Museum of the American Indian, Heyes Foundation, and the Bureau of American Ethnology of the Smithsonian Institution. The contents of the excavation suggest the mound was probably a traditional burial grounds for Native Americans of South Appalachian Mississippi Culture. They lived in the area between 1350-1600 and the burial mounds were characteristic of their culture. After the excavation former Georgia governor Lamartine Griffin Hardman had the reconstruction of this mound built at his estate. On a more personal note, I visited this site shortly after having purchased my first 135 format camera in 1984 and it was one of the first 8x10 images I ever printed and was framed vertically. Today I used my 5x12 camera and will likely crop it to 5x10.

5x12 FP4+ in Pyrocat-M
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

What a neat assignment.

Quote Originally Posted by bgh View Post
    This thread has been dormant for a little while, perhaps it is time to bring it back. About a year ago I had the wonderful opportunity to do the HAER documentation of one of the engine and propulsion systems test stands at NASA's White Sands Test Facility in New Mexico. It was my first time in NM, and my first chance to do any photographs in the desert. It was a hoot, I had a great time, and the test stand was a fantastic subject to photograph.

The facility was built in 1963-64, and the subject of my work was first built in 1964 and then substantially altered in 1965 when a circular altitude test chamber was added to the top of it. It is rather distressing that something younger than me is now historic, but there you are. It certainly did have an important part to play in the Apollo program, where elements of the lunar excursion module and the lunar command and service module were tested. Here is a rather stately view of the test stand and its surrounding buildings, seen across what was originally the wastewater drain.

Horseman L45, TMAX 400, g-claron 305mm.