Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Photographs of Historic Buildings

Re: Photographs of Historic Buildings

Reinhold, great composition on the light house. I think the sky is just right too.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Mission San Juan Capistrano was a Spanish mission in colonial Las Californias. It is located in present-day San Juan Capistrano, Orange County, southern California. The mission was founded in 1776, by Spanish Catholics of the Franciscan Order. Named for Giovanni de Capistrano, a 15th-century theologian and "warrior priest" who resided in the Abruzzo region of Italy, San Juan Capistrano has the distinction of being home to the oldest building in California still in use, a chapel built in 1782. Known alternately as "Serra's Chapel" and "Father Serra's Church," it is the only extant structure where it has been documented that Junipero Serra celebrated Mass. One of the best known missions in Alta California, and one of the few missions to have actually been founded twice—others being Mission San Gabriel Arcángel and Mission La Purísima Concepción. The site was originally consecrated on October 30, 1775, by Fermín Lasuén, but was quickly abandoned due to unrest among the indigenous population in San Diego.

MissionSJCCourtyard1 by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

Serra's Chapel:

JuniperoSerraChapel1 by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Its a bit frightening to think of a building that was built after I was born as historic. Sadly, that is now the case, as the ever-fewer gray hairs will attest.

This two-building complex is Haven Hall, a dormitory on the Syracuse University campus that was completed in 1964 according to the designs of the prominent Syracuse architectural firm of King and King. The tall curved building on the right has the dormitory rooms, originally for women but now co-ed, while the low circular building houses a dining hall.

This complex is just down the street from the building where the darkroom that I use is located (lightwork.org), and I have long admired it. As I was leaving the darkroom late one recent afternoon, the light was just terrific.

Bruce

4x5, Wista RF, 90mm Fujinon.
    TMAX 400, processed in Sprint, flatbed scan on Espson V750
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Haven Hall looking NE 2019-1.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	186264

Bruce this is strikingly similar to a complex at Montana State where I stayed in the early 70’s. It had two, 11 story dorms about like this one but not curved. And a round dining hall in between. I don’t think they were built much later than your example here.

Hi Steve--

That's interesting to know! These curved forms were clearly important to the Modern approach to architecture in the 1960s--all very futuristic and space-age, don't you know. I will have to check out the Montana State complex. Do you recall the name?

I also took a photo of the uphill side of the tall dormitory building--I drive past this complex on my way home from the darkroom, but have never taken the time to stop and take a picture.

Thanks again,
    Bruce

Name:	Haven Hall looking NW 2019-1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	186271

Quote Originally Posted by scheinfluger_77 View Post
    Bruce this is strikingly similar to a complex at Montana State where I stayed in the early 70’s. It had two, 11 story dorms about like this one but not curved. And a round dining hall in between. I don’t think they were built much-- later than your example here.

Bruce, I have many memories of Haven Hall, or the “toilet bowl” as it was sometimes referred to by students at Syracuse. During my third year at SU I lived across Comstock Street, up the hill in Booth Hall in a room that overlooked Haven. Haven was a girls dorm back then (Booth was co-ed), and we’d often use its dining hall which was the round part of the building.

For me when I think back, there was always a kind of baleful incongruity to Haven Hall, a mood which is captured wonderfully by your photos, especially the second one.

Quote Originally Posted by bgh View Post
    Hi Steve--

That's interesting to know! These curved forms were clearly important to the Modern approach to architecture in the 1960s--all very futuristic and space-age, don't you know. I will have to check out the Montana State complex. Do you recall the name?

I also took a photo of the uphill side of the tall dormitory building--I drive past this complex on my way home from the darkroom, but have never taken the time to stop and take a picture.

Thanks again,
    Bruce

If you search for north and south hedges Montana state you should come up with somthing.

Thanks for the comment, Hal. I'm glad to hear of another Syracuse connection here. It think that it is a terrific combination of buildings and shapes, from a design perspective. What it was like to live there, I wouldn't venture a guess! But, it is very cool to look at, and to photograph.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post

Bruce, I have many memories of Haven Hall, or the “toilet bowl” as it was sometimes referred to by students at Syracuse. During my third year at SU I lived across Comstock Street, up the hill in Booth Hall in a room that overlooked Haven. Haven was a girls dorm back then (Booth was co-ed), and we’d often use its dining hall which was the round part of the building.

For me when I think back, there was always a kind of baleful incongruity to Haven Hall, a mood which is captured wonderfully by your photos, especially the second one.

The church of La Salut, on the outskirts of my hometown, Sabadell, Catalonia. By the way, here is where my parents got married.

KW Patent Etui 9x12, Carl Zeiss Tessar f4.5 135mm, Ilford FP4+ in R09 One Shot

Point Wilson Light.
    Point Wilson Light (1879), is one of the most important in the state, overlooking the entrance to Admiralty Inlet, the waterway connecting the Strait of Juan de Fuca and Puget Sound.

. . Point Wilson Light, Washington by Reinhold S., on Flickr

Neg# LIHO 072, 4x5" Tachihara, O filter, PXP film. 1983

More LF History here... https://www.flickr.com/photos/154287...57690079438365

Reinhold