Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast

Thread: Photographs of Historic Buildings

Re: Photographs of Historic Buildings

Neat. I like the way your photograph shows the grounds in context to their surroundings.

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    Not exactly a Historic Building but it is a historic site. This Nacoochee Indian burial mound sits just outside of Helen GA. This mound is a reconstruction as the original was excavated by the Museum of the American Indian, Heyes Foundation, and the Bureau of American Ethnology of the Smithsonian Institution. The contents of the excavation suggest the mound was probably a traditional burial grounds for Native Americans of South Appalachian Mississippi Culture. They lived in the area between 1350-1600 and the burial mounds were characteristic of their culture. After the excavation former Georgia governor Lamartine Griffin Hardman had the reconstruction of this mound built at his estate. On a more personal note, I visited this site shortly after having purchased my first 135 format camera in 1984 and it was one of the first 8x10 images I ever printed and was framed vertically. Today I used my 5x12 camera and will likely crop it to 5x10.
    I like the way your photograph shows the grounds in context to their surroundings.

5x12 FP4+ in Pyrocat-M

Nice one Eric. Were you up on the road or down the hill by the fence? I'd love to actually get in there, closer. I haven't been over there when the light was any good.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Up on the road at the east end of the stopping lane on 17. The weeds by the fence were very tall. There is always some blue ridge haze in the air here and my SA300 lens is definitely lacking in contrast, I may reshoot it with a filter next time. Need to go on a day when there is a mix of white clouds and blue sky. The Farm is still private property but there is usually someone at the dirt road to the left, so you might have someone to ask permission of, or maybe at the Hardman estate historic center across the street. I once saw it with hay/grass bales in the field too but did not have a camera with me at the time. Snow might be interesting too if you could get to it. Maybe a low fog this time of year in the morning too would make the mound look like its in the clouds.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Respect

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    Not exactly a Historic Building but it is a historic site. This Nacoochee Indian burial mound sits just outside of Helen GA. This mound is a reconstruction as the original was excavated by the Museum of the American Indian, Heyes Foundation, and the Bureau of American Ethnology of the Smithsonian Institution. The contents of the excavation suggest the mound was probably a traditional burial grounds for Native Americans of South Appalachian Mississippi Culture. They lived in the area between 1350-1600 and the burial mounds were characteristic of their culture. After the excavation former Georgia governor Lamartine Griffin Hardman had the reconstruction of this mound built at his estate. On a more personal note, I visited this site shortly after having purchased my first 135 format camera in 1984 and it was one of the first 8x10 images I ever printed and was framed vertically. Today I used my 5x12 camera and will likely crop it to 5x10.

5x12 FP4+ in Pyrocat-M
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    What a neat assignment.
    It really was, Neil. Both the photography and the writing were a delight to do.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Main Courtroom, Mariposa County Courthouse (1854) - Mariposa, CA.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-12-17-0002.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	222527

California's oldest courthouse and still operating as of 2021. Hamilton's portrait is mounted to the left of the judge and Lincoln's on the right. Except for modern judicial conveniences such as telephone, steno equipment and clerk's chairs, most of which are hidden from view, the furnishings are all original. I visited when there were no hearings scheduled and security gave me permission to photograph the upstairs courtroom. Toyo 45AX with 90mm f4.5 Grandagon.

Thomas

Brownhoist Building I, Cleveland, Ohio

Schneider 110XL
    8x10 Ektar 100

HABS-AK-240-M

The last remaining World War II log cabin on Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska. Cambo SCX 4x5, 120mm Super Angulon, TMax 400.

Name:	HABS-240-M-5.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	224700

Kingsley Plantation, Fort George Isl., Jacksonville, FL

Name:	Kingsley_plantation.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	224710
    8X10 Palladium print on Bergger COT 320.
    View looking towards bldg. for kitchen, etc..
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

Very nice photograph. It reminds me of a summer day in Florida. neil