Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img021sm_lomoO2_600mm_foma100.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	212807
    More photo to my instagram:
    www.instagram.com/dendorff_bw

Re: Photographs of Historic Buildings

You may be thinking of Butler Square, a former warehouse and office building in Minneapolis. The building is located within the Minneapolis warehouse district and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971. The walls are masonry but the interior is built with heavy timber posts and beams, cut from Douglas fir grown near Aitkin, Minnesota. The columns are 24in wide at the bottom level, gradually diminishing to 9in wide on the top level. Wikipedia has an article on Butler Square with more information and a photograph.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Do you know the large Minneapolis office building that was constructed of huge wood uprights. The trees were nearly the size of California Redwoods. The building was downtown and the wood verticals were at least 8 stories tall.

I saw the building a long time ago, my memory fails on name and exact location. I would love to see images of that building and revisit it one day.

Few know or remember the upper Midwest once had massive trees however every single giant tree was cut down.

Interesting - I just read about the building.

Megapixel,
    At the bottom of your comments on Butler Square is a link to PhotoMidwest.org. I clicked on that link for info on PhotoMidwest, and got a dose of reality. The site, in listing its programs, included ". . .alternative processes (film and related processes. . . ." It made me realize that film itself is an alternative process. Didn't like it, but it is true.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Megapixel View Post
    You may be thinking of Butler Square, a former warehouse and office building in Minneapolis. The building is located within the Minneapolis warehouse district and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971. The walls are masonry but the interior is built with heavy timber posts and beams, cut from Douglas fir grown near Aitkin, Minnesota. The columns are 24in wide at the bottom level, gradually diminishing to 9in wide on the top level. Wikipedia has an article on Butler Square with more information and a photograph.
    Butler Square is one of the few "grand old buildings" still remaining in Minneapolis. Many were torn down during the so-called revitalization effort of the 60s and 70s. These building had large, open areas in the center, from floor to roof, to allow light and ventilation (before air conditioning). These open areas made them inefficient as office buildings later in life. One example: http://collections.mnhs.org/MNHistor...03p112-115.pdf

It is amazing in person

we cut down every giant tree back in the day

however only yesterday I was watching a history which described complete deforestation to make temples 1000's of years ago

the people had to leave

Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    Butler Square is one of the few "grand old buildings" still remaining in Minneapolis. Many were torn down during the so-called revitalization effort of the 60s and 70s. These building had large, open areas in the center, from floor to roof, to allow light and ventilation (before air conditioning). These open areas made them inefficient as office buildings later in life. One example: http://collections.mnhs.org/MNHistor...03p112-115.pdf