Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Photographs of Historic Buildings

Re: Photographs of Historic Buildings

StMarysSeminaryLMT_Nikkor90_f8_TriX320 by Maryland Photos, on Flickr

St. Mary's Seminary, Baltimore.

Linhof Master Technika, Nikkor-SW 90 f8, Tri-X 320, developed in Cinestill Df96 monobath

Blue Hill Meteorological Observatory by Chris, on Flickr

Blue Hill Meteorological Observatory, Milton, Massachusetts
    The oldest, continuously operated weather Observatory in the United States.
    Built in 1885.

Chamonix 045N-2
    Nikon SW 90 f8 w/red filter
    delta 100
    xtol
    Last edited by Chris7521; 2-Jul-2020 at 05:30. Reason: Added lens into

The first two shots I must have made around 1967 or so with my 4x5 Crown Graphic and 90 Super Angulon. I'm not exactly sure what it originally was in the 1800 but think it was a feed store sometime along the way and sat for many years abandon in our skid row section. Now it's a bar and grill in a popular old city area of Knoxville TN.

The third shot doesn't look like much but was building K25 at the Oak Ridge Gaseous Diffusion plant. This building was U shaped and 1 mile from one end to the other. It's where the Uranium was enriched for the first atomic bombs and continued in operation for decades. The building has been torn down and a museum stands in the location.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old City 1.jpg   Old City 2.jpg   ORGDP K25 103.jpg  

Don, the Royal Crown Soda sign sure tells what area of the country the building is in and I sure Moon Pies were sold there. Buildings like that disappearing fast. Nice photos.
    Regards,
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Kearns View Post
    Don, the Royal Crown Soda sign sure tells what area of the country the building is in and I sure Moon Pies were sold there. Buildings like that disappearing fast. Nice photos.
    Regards,
    Pat
    Moon Pies and an RC, Mountain Dew, YooHoo or orange dope are some of the great southern delicacies along with Krystal Burgers and GooGoo Clusters.

For all you northerners an orange dope is a Nehi orange “pop”. I grew up in the south and when I was a kid you’d go into a country store and get a dope. Dopes were kept in a sliding top cooler. A Dope was a generic term like Coke or Nehi soda. The old guy behind the counter would ask if you’d like your dope in a poke. Again the southern translation is “ would you like your “pop” in a paper bag?” A poke got its name because the clerk would poke his hand into the inside of the bag to open it up.

Unfortunately the southern vocabulary and accents are almost gone. At one time I could tell where a person was from in the valley by their accent but no more, too many outsiders here now.

This is a typical country store from the good old days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 77B54D17-87C2-4C21-B80A-4BE1C0FF5EBF.jpeg  

Chambers building in Ottawa. An example of Chicago style. Graflex Crown Graphic 4x5. Optar 90mm f6.8. Kodak Ektar. There is an enormous LED screen on the side of the National Arts centre behind the camera position. It's like having a giant softbox to light the subject. The only problem is the screen image changes every few seconds, so the colour temperature of the shot is the average of the screen over about the 30s of the exposure. I waited until the sign was mostly white.

Chambers building, Ottawa by Howard Sandler, on Flickr

Roman bridge in Salamanca - Spain
    Graflex crown graphic + Schneider symmar 150
    Fomapan 400

4x5 foma 200@160
    nikkor w 210/5.6

nikkor sw 90/4.5
    More photo to my instagram:
    www.instagram.com/dendorff_bw

HamptonOrangery002 by Maryland Photos, on Flickr

Linhof Master Technika, Nikkor 90 f8, TMax 100. Developed in SP-445 with Cinestill Df96 monobath.

The Orangery, at the Hampton National Historic site in Towson, just north of Baltimore. This is actually a replica built in 1976, the original structure c. 1820 burned down around 1920. A Library of Congress archival photo of the ruins is available here: https://www.loc.gov/resource/hhh.md0481.photos

John Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by hsandler View Post
    Chambers building in Ottawa. An example of Chicago style. Graflex Crown Graphic 4x5. Optar 90mm f6.8. Kodak Ektar. There is an enormous LED screen on the side of the National Arts centre behind the camera position. It's like having a giant softbox to light the subject. The only problem is the screen image changes every few seconds, so the colour temperature of the shot is the average of the screen over about the 30s of the exposure. I waited until the sign was mostly white.

Chambers building, Ottawa by Howard Sandler, on Flickr
    I like your clever solution to the lighting problem. Hugely effective!