Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: For-Sale-Wanted Rules changes coming on 3 Apr 2016

(Shrek)

Re: For-Sale-Wanted Rules changes coming on 3 Apr 2016

Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    Or decline to buy because the entirely predicable postage became apparent. Or their spouse did not give permission.
    I would assume most of us know better than to ask our spouses before buying another lens.

I gather the new rules offer a beginning of a new policy of restricting activity by dealers? Has this really been a problem (as far as price/quality with the dealers we presently have)? It's not like there are dozens of specialized sellers with proper knowledge of LF gear, I personally had no problem with allowing them access to the FS forum here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    I gather the new rules offer a beginning of a new policy of restricting activity by dealers? Has this really been a problem (as far as price/quality with the dealers we presently have)? It's not like there are dozens of specialized sellers with proper knowledge of LF gear, I personally had no problem with allowing them access to the FS forum here.
    Need to swat this before it takes on a life of its own. The new policy will in fact be more permissive of small dealers. The current policy says "no dealers allowed", period. This has led to lots of controversy about whether members who are very active in FS/WTB should count as dealers and thus be restricted. Recognizing the changes in the LF market, the new policy will set a threshold that rules out large commercial enterprises but allows room for small or part-time traders. Other changes in the posting rules for these sections are designed in part to achieve an even playing field for all members, regardless of whether they are high-volume sellers or buyers, while minimizing the various disruptions that FS/WTB posts have caused under the current rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    No. Small dealers (< $1 mil in annual sales) will be explicitly allowed, as described in the previous discussion threads. The current ban on (undefined) dealers was aimed at the big guys (B&H, etc.).

As one who has bought and sold through this forum (which has always been better than using ebay), I have no problem with the new rules. I hope they make things easier for the moderators. If not, we need to slip 'em a quarter for every listing...

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    No. Small dealers (< $1 mil in annual sales) will be explicitly allowed, as described in the previous discussion threads. The current ban on (undefined) dealers was aimed at the big guys (B&H, etc.).
    Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Need to swat this before it takes on a life of its own. The new policy will in fact be more permissive of small dealers. The current policy says "no dealers allowed", period. This has led to lots of controversy...
    Thanks for the clarification. I don't normally follow pie-fights, I was unaware of any arguments over who is or isn't a dealer.

What will happen to existing adds placed in the days before the change occurs? Will they need to be reposted or just switch over?
    Apologies if this has been covered. Thanks.
    Last edited by lecarp; 29-Mar-2016 at 09:37.

Quote Originally Posted by lecarp View Post
    What will happen to existing adds placed in the days before the change occurs? Will they need to be reposted or just switch over?
    The existing threads will remain. When the changes become effective, existing threads will be displayed, and any new posts to existing threads will be moderated, according to the new rules. We will not retroactively delete bumps or other follow-up posts that were allowed under the rules in effect at the time they were posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    For example, if you aren't sure that a "600mm f/1.0 Schneidenstock" lens will suit your portrait needs, start a discussion thread in the Lens section instead of posting here.
    I'm sure I want one. But it has to be cheap :-)

Mods, I think you have done a good job. The new rules seem reasonable and easy enough to understand. I hope they will make your work a bit easier.

Michael

The changes noted above have been implemented, and the new sub-forums re-opened for business. Please report any issues in the following thread:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...y-at-10-00-MDT

The PM limit has also been increased to 200, with a max of 2.000 chars/message.

To understand all of the changes please be sure to read the updated FAQ in full:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...rules_faq_item