Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4"x5" black and white negative to 5'x7' print?

Re: 4"x5" black and white negative to 5'x7' print?

Yep you are right--no decorum on the internet

So, when you get that big print and mount it on the wall, please take a photo of the installation and post it here to satisfy our curiosity.

Thanks!

Hi There

I would start off with a very good scanner, and make the file big in 16bit.
    We print large scale from various size all the time and for the size of print you are asking for I would make an RGB file in the neighbourhood of 3-7hundred mb.
    You mentioned scrutiny and here we would use an Eversmart Supreme Scanner or Imocan, depending on art work supplied.

16mb is unfortunately not going to cut the mustard, and a Epson Flatbed would not be the scanner of choice for this project.
    Quote Originally Posted by Creekhollowgirl View Post
    Yep you are right--no decorum on the internet

I really appreciate all your input--although a few comments are a bit obnoxious, but understandable since I really know nothing and am just trying to the best with what I have.
    My posts were probably among the obnoxious ones: please forgive my rudeness.

I don't think that it's a good idea to output JPG and throw away information so early in the process. I'd scan at the maximum optical resolution of your scanner and keep it in TIFF until it goes to the printer and let them start with a non-compressed (well, non-lossily compressed if there's such a word!) file. Drum scans would be nice but probably too expensive/time consuming.

Heck - if you walk up and put your nose to one of Saint Ansel's large prints they really aren't so amazingly sharp - and it didn't seem to diminish his artistic/economic stature all that much!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1647.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	149706

I didn't take this photo and have not seen the installation myself. Little disappointed, because it appears to have been skewed when they did the canvas wrap.

Thank you all so much for all the input!

It's a historic photograph and probably wasn't level to begin with. When reproducing a historic photograph there is always a question about whether to "fix" an original problem or not and there is no correct answer.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    It's a historic photograph and probably wasn't level to begin with. When reproducing a historic photograph there is always a question about whether to "fix" an original problem or not and there is no correct answer.
    Hi Kirk thank you for the response , I did "fix" it prior to printing and checked the canvas when it arrived prior to sending it to be mounted.... I still haven't seen it in person though it could be the angle of the snapshot.

Ahh - the magic words -"Canvas Wrap".

I bet it looks really good where it is. Canvas isn't an ultra-high resolution medium, so I would have worried a lot less about the resolution. I have a couple of 44 x 66 canvas wraps that I did for a gallery show and even though I started with 5 x 7 and 8 x 10 originals I wouldn't hesitate to work from something a lot smaller if it was going to be printed on canvas. They can look quite nice even if they aren't knife sharp. Nowhere near the tonal range of a good paper print, but for what they are and where they are they can be very effective - size matters!

Congratulations!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1647.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	149706

I didn't take this photo and have not seen the installation myself. Little disappointed, because it appears to have been skewed when they did the canvas wrap.

Thank you all so much for all the input!
    I like how those black and red things are stacked up the wall. BTW, someone must have messed up your installation, the picture is turned 90*.