Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Linhof Kardan question

Re: Linhof Kardan question

No, sorry, question is: is a normal ballhead strong enough to hold a Linhof Kardan Color? Or should I get the dedicated clamp from Linhof. The rest of my post is some sort of german humour, but nobody is laughing. Must have been to strange. I apologize. There was another thread about purity in lf photography. Will have to utter my jokes over there ...

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Casper Lohenstein View Post
    No, sorry, question is: is a normal ballhead strong enough to hold a Linhof Kardan Color? Or should I get the dedicated clamp from Linhof. The rest of my post is some sort of german humour, but nobody is laughing. Must have been to strange. I apologize. There was another thread about purity in lf photography. Will have to utter my jokes over there ...
    What is a normal ball head? If you mean a Profi lll yes, possibly the Profi ll. The largest Novoflex will also easily work, as will the medium sized one.

I use a Linhof Color, mounted on a Manfrotto junior geared head 410 (the provided pquick plate is attached to the Linhof "foot" ). Not the lightest combination, and its quite high (the foot and the 410 on the tripod), but I like it for the precision of the 410, and it's stable.

good luck,

Cor

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    What is a normal ball head? If you mean a Profi lll yes, possibly the Profi ll. The largest Novoflex will also easily work, as will the medium sized one.
    Thank you, Bob and Cor, I got it and tried it with the Manfrotto MHXPRO. It is lighter and sturdier than I thought.

In the beginning I wasn't a great fan of Linhofs because I thought they were over-engineered and demanding, unlike Wistas, but after I sold the Technika V something was missing ...

Now I discover the Kardan Color an I think it is an ideal camera to go out in the field, even for traveling, although I will get another Technika IV, too, next week, as a restoration project.

Funny things, those Linhofs. Perhaps I am too frustrated by Intrepids, in the end.

The Kardan Color is much lighter than the Technika, as well as being very rigid. I like mine a lot, and as I don’t use a lot of movements it’s somewhat limited range is not a problem.
    I enjoyed the “kardanwelle” discussion, I am laughing! Particularly because I used to work on a lot of BMW E21’s and the floating hood at speed phenomenon was common, and rather disconcerting!