Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee GND Filters

Lee GND Filters

I must be missing something here, but when I put the graduated neutral density filter in its slot, the bottom of the filter hits the bed of my Linhof V and does not allow proper positioning. Inserting the filter with the dark side down works ok, but the gradation is reversed. Thanks for your help.

Lee GND Filters

It's designed to be long so that you can have a lot of flexibility in where the graduation is placed... as you've discoverd this can get interesting with flat bed cameras (where the rear standard cannot be moved forward as an alternate focus).

You might try dropping the bed (can you do this wiht a V?) and tilting the front standard back (and some rise) to bring it back up...that will give you more clearance.

Lee GND Filters

I have a Horseman FA and also had this problem. My soloution was to cut the Lee grads down to the same size as the Cokin P system. I can now use the Cokin adaptors and holders which are adequate and more affordable than the Lee holders. With typical LF lenses you don't need a huge filter to cover the front element. The filters can be cut with a junior hacksaw, and the edges smoothed on abrasive paper, obviously some care is needed to avoid damage.

Lee GND Filters

Re above post, I should detail the method for cutting filters.
    I cut a pair of steel plates to the size I needed for the filters, made a sandwich of steel plate, cardboard sheet, Lee filter, cardboard sheet and second steel plate. Clamped this to the bench and sawed just clear of the the edge of the steel plates. Saw slowly to avoid splintering and run the whole clamped 'pack' across a sheet of aluminium oxide paper on a flat surface to finish the edges. De burr the filter edge with a very fine file.
    At your own risk obviously!!!

Lee GND Filters

Guys, thanks for the feedback. As much as I dislike the idea of cutting a filter, it seems like the best solution. I will try raising the front standard first. ADG, do you think I could use a Dremel to cut the filter?

Lee GND Filters

Before cutting the filter, you might also put masking tape on each side of the filter where you are cutting. It will help prevent the filter from shattering and minimise incidental scratches.

Cheers,

Lee GND Filters

Morey, I am not sure about the dremel tool, I chose a junior hacksay as the teeth are very small and therefore more likely to cut than dig in and bend the material. Why not try the dremel on a Cokin filter as they are made of basically the same stuff. The Lee filters consistancy and neutral density are way ahead of the Cokin filters as I'm sure you know.
    If you are not confident, ask Lee Filters, they will do it for you.

Lee GND Filters

A dremel tool should work fine but bear in mind that they tend to melt plastics almost as much as they cut them. This may lead to some additional work deburring and cleaning the new edge.

Steven

Lee GND Filters

Thanks to everyone, I am bit more encouraged about my filters. I am going to try the dremel and tape the area as Graeme suggested. The filters are really fun to work with and I cannot express too strongly the enjoyment of not having to fight a bright sky and a dark canyon. A bit of magic to be sure. Next question, does anyone have a sense of how much of the filter needs to be cut off? I use lenses from 90 to 300mm. Again, thanks for sharing your expertise.

Beverly Hills, California

Lee GND Filters

It's designed to be long so that you have enough area to be able to use the filter as a pure ND filter or a graduated nd filter.

Try to find a more elegant before you cut them up.