Thread: Minimum size practical changing bag for 4 x 5

Minimum size practical changing bag for 4 x 5

I'll be traveling to Japan in a few weeks. I have a large changing bag and a Harrison tent but I need to squeeze my stuff into a smallish carry-on sized bag so I'm thinking of a small changing bag. The ones I have are roomy for 5 x 7 and usable (but tight) for 8 x 10. I'll be taking either a 4 x 5 or a 2 x 3 Technika with me and will need some kind of changing bag - doesn't have to be spacious, just usable for loading 4 x 5 Grafmatics.

Any suggestions???

Thanks

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Re: Minimum size practical changing bag for 4 x 5

I use this which will allow me to load Grafmatic 45s and load the Jobo 3010 Expert Drum. I have used it for years.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/25001-...-Changing-Room
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Jim, I have a spare bag about 65cm x 70cm that I can lend you for the duration of your trip. Just tell me where to send it, and return it before you leave.

Kumar

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

The Harrison Pup Tent is perfect for 4x5 and probably a doable but tight fit for 5x7. Weighs next to nothing and is very compact. I bought a used one from a local Calumet store where it was a rental product. The poles were abused but it works fine.

Thomas

Thanks Kumar - much appreciated. I have a lead on a smaller one but if it's too tight I'll take you up on your offer. We'll be in Shinjuku for a few days then Nagoya (my wife's home town) then take the train to Echizen and pick up a rental car and drive around the Noto Peninsula and back to Azumino via Takayama. then back to Tokyo. Funny - all the years I worked in Japan I never made a photo expedition!

Hi Thomas - thanks for the suggestion. I'm trying to pack a 4 x 5 Technika and a Mamiya 645 and a Canon C100 video cam into a carry on bag with lenses, film, etc - oh yeah - trying to get my 5D with an 8mm fisheye and a pano head in there too. I think I can do it but it's going to be TIGHT!!!!! I have adapters so I can use the Mamiya lenses on my video cam

Sure, Jim. Let me know.
    Which airline are you flying? Some are getting very strict about carry-on weight limits.
    We plan to visit friends in Kanazawa in the summer, and then go around the Noto Peninsula.

Kumar

Take the tent you have, leave the poles at home.

Harrison Pup Tent is fine for 4x5 and still works up to 4x10. This size is on sale at Arri Rental at the moment - just make sure you get a decent one as they degrade over time.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Jim - The last time I traveled out of the country I carried a Nikon F6 and Pentax 645NII with 3 leans for each along with film (color and B&W), cleaning kit, Gitzo series 0 CF tripod, 8" tablet, and what-not in a Lowepro 350 AW Runner as a carry-on. It fits easily in the overhead or, if everyone already beat you to it, under your seat. On that trip the F6 was designated for color negative and the Pentax for B&W. Although I had a rental, most of the photography was done parking the car and taking long walk-abouts. If I were to shoot from the car, I would take just 1 camera, a Toyo 45CF, 3 lens (90, 150, and 300), 5 holders for B&W and 5 for Color, film, the Harrison Pup tent to unload and reload the holders and the rest of the above in the same pack.

Thomas