Thread: Start with a Contact Print

Start with a Contact Print

I see many posts that go like: I'm new to LF what kind of scanner etc.

Here is my advice to young folks (I'm 59) that ask "what should I buy". No matter what format roll film, 35mm, LF, people need to develop their own film. Secondly you need to be able to make a contact print.

This process will immediately give a great deal of feedback on what you are doing. If you are using a camera with a built in meter that you really don't know how to use, and see each negative under and over exposed or every shot producing a 18% gray no matter what you photograph, well this can be very informative.

Processing and printing gives you a nice way to catalog and file your work. The archival nature of film over digital is a great advantage. If you want to keep it shoot it on film.

When the World Trade Center was attacked many original negatives of JFK and his family were destroyed. Fortunately the contact proof sheets were stored separately and have been scanned and have resulted in incredible, beautiful, images.

Rather than go out trying to find a very expensive film scanner, make beautiful contact prints for display and if you want to scan on any good flatbed scanner.

If you always fall into the trap of shooting and scanning film (I can understand why ) I think you miss out on a heck of a lot of what you can learn and what you can produce with film.

Best Regards, Mike

Re: Start with a Contact Print

Nice information for newbies

dido
    Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    I see many posts that go like: I'm new to LF what kind of scanner etc.

Here is my advice to young folks (I'm 59) that ask "what should I buy". No matter what format roll film, 35mm, LF, people need to develop their own film. Secondly you need to be able to make a contact print.

This process will immediately give a great deal of feedback on what you are doing. If you are using a camera with a built in meter that you really don't know how to use, and see each negative under and over exposed or every shot producing a 18% gray no matter what you photograph, well this can be very informative.

Processing and printing gives you a nice way to catalog and file your work. The archival nature of film over digital is a great advantage. If you want to keep it shoot it on film.

When the World Trade Center was attacked many original negatives of JFK and his family were destroyed. Fortunately the contact proof sheets were stored separately and have been scanned and have resulted in incredible, beautiful, images.

Rather than go out trying to find a very expensive film scanner, make beautiful contact prints for display and if you want to scan on any good flatbed scanner.

If you always fall into the trap of shooting and scanning film (I can understand why ) I think you miss out on a heck of a lot of what you can learn and what you can produce with film.

Best Regards, Mike

Nicely put Mike, I totally agree and would add that film is meant to be printed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath View Post
    Nicely put Mike, I totally agree and would add that film is meant to be printed.
    I noticed a post on a new 120 film scanner here on this forum. I don't know if I am just a old dog and just unwilling to learn. But I just don't like sitting at a computer. I don't understand shooting film and not making analogue prints. I just never get over the satisfaction of a lovely fiber base print and the process of creating it.
    Best Mike

The goal, at least IMHO is prints that stand up and sing. Some print better on silver some better on ink.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"