Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Howtek utilities question

Re: Howtek utilities question

AHHHH!!!! I was aware of that option and mine never had it.. sorry I wasted time with that test, I did not realize that's what the IEC was! So back to square one I guess...
    At any rate all boards have been re seated and connectors cleaned.
    The PMT tests passed, after a good trans lamp was installed, if seeing the numbers is revealing I will happily get the screen caps up nest. Thanks to you both..

here is the screen cap of the PMT test. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PMTs.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	148279

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

So the PMTs are fine. Does your main menu in the FST looks similar to the one in the PC?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fst4500-main.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	165.7 KB 
ID:	148280

If so, check test number 48, to verify index. See page 6-4 of the service guide for details.

6-4 service guide-rs.pdf

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Tyler, I also would consider the possibility of being an issue with the SCSI. Not sure how you can set the SCSI to ASYN mode in the Mac or even trying a different SCSI card.

yes my menu is the same and it passes every test.. the drum position/index test passed also.
    You know, the whole thing is very strange.. it was working perfectly, and it passes all the tests, yet shuts down at the lumen point of preview every time, with that same alert. Still makes me wonder about something physical on the drum, but I can't find anything.
    Am I correct in assuming that if it passes the PMT tests and others, that there is nothing possibly blocking the light path inside the optics bench? I've not opened it.
    Not sure about the scsi suggestion, the fact that everything is working but this one thing, and it passes all tests, makes me doubt that possibility?
    At this point I'm lost, thinking of changing out the drum pads, if they get too compressed over time perhaps the light path over on the right edge could be compromised?

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

The reason I suggested to check the SCSI is because the test included in the FST for the I/O is pretty basic. Once the scanning app starts to use the channel at full then the problems show.

In more than one occasion, I got a hardware error just to find out the problem was related to communications. Wherever test the scanner was running at the time shows as an error. So the first and easiest troubleshooting step is to reduced the speed of the SCSI channel, changing it from SYNC to ASYN, where a full handshake is performed.

Not sure how this is done in the Mac but in the PC you have access typically from the SCSI BIOS, pressing Ctrl+A when the card is searching for SCSI devices at boot time. You either should be able to select ASYN mode or (force 5MB/s speed and the option "Initiate SYNC" to NO), same thing.

I you have another SCSI card please try it. Check also for the cable with pins bent. If that happened, may be the card was damaged while the bad cable was connected.

Another point to check is the SCSI chip in the I/O card. It uses a AM33C93A in a PLCC socket, so the pins should be cleaned with a plastic safe contact cleaner. If you do so please be careful with the static. A PLCC extraction tool is ideal for the task.

It's my belief this is the hardest problem to troubleshoot with the 4500. The I/O card in the 4000 does not use a socket for that chip so there's no contact issues.

Let me know how it goes.

got it, thank you. I will look into the scsi issue, but finding another card will be problematic in the short term. All your other suggestions I will try.
    Interestingly, it works again now, which on the one hand is good, but on the other, I'd feel much better having found the problem and dealt with it.
    In the meantime I'll do all else you suggested, certainly the chip and socket contact cleaning, thanks so much for your help.

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Which model of SCSI card are you currently using? Perhaps I can find some spare. You should also check the auction site. Many available and pretty cheap.

FWIW, I am dubious about chasing SCSI problems at this point, based on the available information. If the machine were giving random errors at different times, or even the same error at different times in the scanning procedure, then I might agree that it's worth looking into the communications channel. But if the lamp error is occurring always at the SAME point in doing a scan or calibration phase, then I think it is NOT SCSI or communications. Personally, I would open up the optical bench and make sure everything looks OK before pulling chips on the IOC board. I would especially check that the focus lever mechanism is working properly, since we know for sure that if the focus lever is not pushed back all the way before starting a scan, a F719 is guaranteed.

My two cents.
    Dave

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Dave, I do not know if you missed Tyler's post about the scanner passing the PMT tests. The results show a clean path inside the optical box.