Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Howtek utilities question

Howtek utilities question

I asked this on the scanner list but there are several experienced howtek users here so I'm cross posting. I'm getting this error with my 4500-
    Lamp/Mirror RGB
    error F719
    In focus mode I've check both lamps, see that the light path is clear and bright, aimed well, etc etc.. and the mirror is in the correct position. Can't seem to get past it, changed lamps just to make sure... so I need to run the diagnostic utility.
    It's been a long time since I've run these utilities, but I know I have successfully done it before on this same setup, I just don't recall the solution.
    Originally they ran from a floppy, of course those days are long gone. Now the files are simply on my old mac that runs the scanner.. MacUtil3.7 folder, MacUtil4 Folder, and 4500-R813 which I believe was firmware..
    Anyway, running in classic on the old G4, anything in those folders I try to open the system asks for what application.. I can't seem to invoke it AS the application.
    I know I ran into this before and got around it somehow, but this time I can't seem to solve it, any advice? Maybe put it on a disk image?
    Thanks
    Tyler

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Re: Howrtek utilities question

Why don't you try the PC version of the FST instead?

I guess the obvious reply is... I don't have a PC? Or do I not get something?
    Anyway, the solution, for anyone else running into this is that they will not work in OS9 running in Classic mode.. you must boot into OS9

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

I tried to run those utilities booting in OS9 and never managed to get anything similar to the PC version. Now, I am not very familiar with the Macs so that should be the problem.

The PC version works straight forward in any laptop or desktop. I tested it using floppies and hard drives and pretty much any SCSI adapter, including PCMCIA cards and parallel port adapters. How hard is to put together an old PC with a floppy drive and a 2930 scsi card?

Did you checked page 4-13 of the Service Manual? Perhaps you are having trouble with the index.

yes thanks, I have plenty of things to look into. The diagnostic was fairly catastrophic, but the main thing is both lamps show as failed, even though they are clearly working, and the light path to the drum seems clear. Still. I've had to replace lamps before that apparently no longer put out enough. I'll get new bulbs today and proceed from there. I'm assuming some of the other tests that failed required the light path working to begin with, so I'll start there.
    This happened so quickly between scans I'm wondering of something didn't physically block the light path internally. In the meantime I have someone waiting for me to complete their job... always the way when these things happen.

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Boley View Post
    yes thanks, I have plenty of things to look into. The diagnostic was fairly catastrophic, but the main thing is both lamps show as failed, even though they are clearly working, and the light path to the drum seems clear. Still. I've had to replace lamps before that apparently no longer put out enough. I'll get new bulbs today and proceed from there. I'm assuming some of the other tests that failed required the light path working to begin with, so I'll start there.
    This happened so quickly between scans I'm wondering of something didn't physically block the light path internally. In the meantime I have someone waiting for me to complete their job... always the way when these things happen.
    There are several tests that use the lamps. Did you try all?
    If the job pending is urgent, you can send me a PM and can help you with the troubleshooting.

Re: Howtek utilities question

yes I did, I appreciate that offer very much. Let me do the work here, get through the manual suggestions, etc.. exhaust those possibilities first. If I get nowhere I may take you up on that.

Recap and update-
    This began by the Howtek 4500, during previews, shutting down on at the "check lumens" point, reporting-

Lamp/Mirror RGB
    error F719

after the usual lamp replacing etc. failed, I was able to run the diagnostics in OS9 thanks to help here. This reported, after getting a good trans lamp, a bad ref lamp no matter what lamp was in there, even a swap back and forth, with the tran lamp continuing to be good.

The ref lamp is indeed coming on, but it is subjectively dimmer, if that is relevant. Anyway, I don't this this is the main problem, I could pass startup calibration and make tran scans with a bad reflective bulb if I recall...

The main problem seems to be that it fails the IEC Processor test, and reports back "IEC Processor not found". It's not intermittent, it consistently fails when the test is looped.

I re seated all the boards and cleaned all contacts, which the manual recommends, and my experience has usually solved problems. But it still fails the test.

I'm afraid the IEC processor is over my head, and I wouldn't know exactly what is does or how to troubleshoot it, or if that is even the next best step.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, need to get this thing back on line if possible. It passes all other tests.

Thanks, Tyler

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Tyler, a soft lamp should not trigger the error. It's very likely your system does not have the IEC installed and that is not a problem. Actually, the first thing I do with the d4000 and sm4500 is to remove the card. It consumes a lot of power and after all I do not use sharpening in any of my workflows.

In any case you should make sure is not installed for sure. Also, if you can post some pics of the FST screen captures with the PMTs tests it could be helpful.

Tyler,

The IEC board is the "Image Enhancement Controller" (also known as the CosMYK board). It provides the capability for CMYK conversion and sharpening on the fly. My guess is that this functionality was primarily intended for prepress environments, not how we are using the scanners today for fine art photography purposes. In fact, I'm not even sure current scanning software (e.g. Silverfast and DPL) even allow you to use this card. I use DPL with my 4500 and to my knowledge it does not do anything with the IEC or expose its functionality. The 4500 service manual says: "The IEC is directly accessed by host software and can be disabled when not needed."

Also I believe the D4000 (mostly the same as the 4500 in terms of electronics) came in two versions, one with the IEC board and one without. I'm not sure if this was the case for the 4500 but if so, and if your unit did not have the IEC board to begin with, then the diagnostic "error" is not really an error. Do you see the letters "CosMYK" printed on the front of your unit (just below the LCD window)? If so, then you have an IEC board.

In any case, since this board is optional for scanning and assuming you haven't been specifically using its functions in the past, I am guessing there is something else going on which is causing the lamp error.

Dave