Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beseler roller base (one direction) and Jobo 3005 Expert Drum?

Re: Beseler roller base (one direction) and Jobo 3005 Expert Drum?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Might just work fine...I just like to interrupt any possible pattern of surging developer in the tank. And besides, I know that my negatives will develop better if I stare at them while the drum spins...so I might as well flip the drum occasionally to have an excuse to stand there and stare at the rotating drum.

PS -- I like the rubber band idea -- as long as it does not cause excess drag when they contact the turning rubber wheels of the motor base.
    I use tractor oil filter gaskets on the 2500 series, got them for 89 cents each. The stare at the drum thing works for me too.

Beseler roller base (one direction) and Jobo 3005 Expert Drum?

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Walden View Post
    Here you go. A drawer roller from any hardware store. Works on either end of drum but as JOBO says, the 3005 does not have to be reversed (and the auto reverse would not work anyway.) The wood base has indentations to position the Beseler. Attachment 148058
    Can you show me where JOBO says you don't need to reverse the drum with 3005 please? I've never seen that documentation.

I'm also not sure why you think the auto reverse wouldn't work? My Beseler auto reverse worked fine (until it broke after probably 200 8x10 sheets and however many uses it had before I owned it) .

I can say that with the reverse on it does end up making full rotations eventually, as one direction spins slightly more than the other direction, so it will end up getting a fuller rotation. At least mine did.

I did notice surge marks at the edges when I tried to only use one direction. So I went back to the auto reverse.

That wheel is clever, I just always used a wall which worked well.

Now I have a JOBO machine, but the Beseler is a good starter.

Good luck OP!

I apologize. The latest Jobo expert tank instructions I could find do say to use the reversing - of course, Jobo reversing is a random, geater than one revolution before reversing kind. I use my 3005 on a Beseler base and everything else goes in the CPP2. I have seen that reversing is not required, I just can't find it now. The Beseler base seems to come closer to the revolution rate recommended by Jobo than oter bases do.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Walden View Post
    as JOBO says, the 3005 does not have to be reversed
    WAIT...WHAT??? I don't have to reverse it every two minutes???

REALLY??

well..that just made my day

mine only crawls to the right side... so if I point it as shown in the pix.. I can put a two quart bottle of water against the flat right side and then not have to babysit it

so..really..no flipping???

The automatically reversing motor bases are not the best for large drums because they might not rotate around the full circumference before changing directions. The Beseler bases have a switch for manual switching of rotation direction. Otherwise, you have to lift the drum and rotate it manually.

For drum drifting, I used a short piece of heavy galvanized fence attached to a galvanized wall flange. That gave it a flat base so I could place the post upright and position it to block the drift. It required no skill except I did file down the edge of the cut post which was tedious but easy.