Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beseler roller base (one direction) and Jobo 3005 Expert Drum?

Beseler roller base (one direction) and Jobo 3005 Expert Drum?

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with using a Beseler roller base (one direction) with a Jobo 3005 Expert Drum? From what I'm finding is that most people use the roller base that reverses but I'm just wondering if that is really even necessary?

Thanks,
    Eric

Re: Beseler roller base (one direction) and Jobo 3005 Expert Drum?

I removed (bent out of the way, actually) the mechanism that reverses the motor in my motor base -- I found the large diameter of the 3005 meant that it hardly made a full rotation before it reversed.

I physically pick up the drum and rotate it 180 degrees on the motor base every minute or so -- to make sure that I do not get uneven development. Seems to work fine.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I use exactly that and flip mine every two minutes

now..I just need to build a 'keeper' to keep the tank from crawling off and I'm set

Here you go. A drawer roller from any hardware store. Works on either end of drum but as JOBO says, the 3005 does not have to be reversed (and the auto reverse would not work anyway.) The wood base has indentations to position the Beseler. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roller Base.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	148058

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    I use exactly that and flip mine every two minutes

now..I just need to build a 'keeper' to keep the tank from crawling off and I'm set
    I use a large (gallon - glass) bottle of water on the left side. One can be positioned just right so that one does not have to move the bottle when the drum is flipped. I thought about leveling the motor base just right to counter the movement to the left, but decided I'd rather know it definitely heads in one direction rather than take a chance of it deciding to head off right or left without something to stop it. Someday I might make something more sophisticated (like Chauncey's great devise.)
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Lurker

I am wondering if a pair of rubberbands would keep the drum from heading off in either direction. I have a drum that is long and have to keep a constant watch on it when using the roller base.

David

Its is important that you flip it or have a reversing roller base for the 3005? What would happen if it just rolled in one directions for the whole development?

Might just work fine...I just like to interrupt any possible pattern of surging developer in the tank. And besides, I know that my negatives will develop better if I stare at them while the drum spins...so I might as well flip the drum occasionally to have an excuse to stand there and stare at the rotating drum.

PS -- I like the rubber band idea -- as long as it does not cause excess drag when they contact the turning rubber wheels of the motor base.

It works fine in one direction with my chosen film and developer (fp4 in pyrocat m) it might not with certain more finicky developers. One thing I do is a pre wash and I reverse it during the pre wash. I've found that the anti halation layer sometime doesn't totally wash off without doing a reversing prewash.

I use my Beseler motor with Beseler drums reversing and one way. For 4x5 film I use the 8x10 drum (3oz. D-76 1:1) and 8x10 film....the 11x14 drum (4oz D-76 1:1). I push the film into the drum about an inch before I seal it. I also level the drum as much as possible with a torpedo level while it's on the motor. I had uneven development using 8x10 drum on 8x10 film. The motor rotating one way has been ok for me for a long time.