Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite paper developer and why?

What is your favorite paper developer and why?

What is your favorite paper developer and why?

So far I have only used Dektol, Neutol, and LPD. If anything I kind of like LPD more because of the dilution options and what that does to the paper, but I would love to hear what other peoples favorite paper developer is and why.

Re: What is your favorite paper developer and why?

Ilford ID-78 which I mix from scratch it was once commercially available,it's very similar to Ilford warmtone developer. I mix it to a commercial strength (concentration) higher than the published formula replacing the Sodium Carbonate with Potassium Carbonate and Sodium Hydroxide this keeps well at least 2-3 years.

ID-78 is a very nice warmtone developer similar to Neutol WA, be aware that the formula was published incorrectly in the US in various publications due to a mistake in the Photo Lab index. There should be 4.5g/l KBr not the 0.4g listed in the Lab Index.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Would it be possible for you to publish your version of ID-78 here?

Thank you.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    Hi Ian,

Would it be possible for you to publish your version of ID-78 here?

Thank you.

Alan
    No problem:

ID-78 Ilford Warm Tone Developer
    Phenidone 0.5 g
    Sodium Sulphite (anh) 50 g
    Hydroquinone 12 g
    Sodium Carbonate (anh) 62 g
    Potassium Bromide 4.5 g
    Water to 1 litre

To use: Dilute 1+ 3 for warmest tones. Can be used at 1+1 for higher contrast.

This formula is invariably published incorrectly in US sources and many websites with only 0.4g Potassium Bromide. This is the correct formula taken from the "Ilford Manual of Photography" it's also in other Ilford publications.

ID-78 can be made up as a more concentrated stock solution and keeps well with an excellent shelf life. This is what I've been doing for over a decade

The Sodium Carbonate is best replaced by Potassium Carbonate and Sodium Hyrdoxide in the Concentrate which increases solubility.

Concentrated Stock Solution ID-78
    Phenidone 1.25 g
    Sodium Sulphite (anh) 125 g
    Hydroquinone 30 g
    Potassium Carbonate (anhyd) 96.25 g
    Sodium Hydroxide 5.3 g
    Potassium Bromide 11.25 g
    Water to 1 litre

To use: Dilute 1+9, use 1+4 for higher contrast

ID-78 gives excellent Warm Tones with a wide variety of modern warm tone paper, including Polywarmtone, Agfa/Adox MCC, Fomabrom 111 and of course Ilford Warmtone FB. It was once commercially available in as aPowdered developer to make 1 gallon and 10 litres (2¼ Gallon) of Stock solution. It's a direct replacement for Neutol WA and Ilford Warmtone developers and was once available commercially as an Ilford pre-packed powder developer.

There's more here.
    Any PQ developer can be made up as a concentrate I've used the typical Ilford substitution of Potassium Carbonate and Hydroxide for Sodium CArbonate, Agfa use(d) less Carbonate and more Hydroxide, Kodak for Liquid Dektol is similar. You could make up a concentrated PQ version of D72 Dektol quite easily.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by axs810 View Post
    What is your favorite paper developer and why?...
    I've had a few over many decades, but am now extremely pleased with the recently released Adox MCC developer:

I haven't yet had a chance to do the full FB temporary darkroom setup routine and try this developer with MCC 110 paper. However, it has provided very pleasing prints on Multigrade Warmtone RC (MGWTRC).

In my opinion, a paper/developer evaluation isn't useful until the toning step is complete. So, after processing MGWTRC in MCC developer, then fixing and washing, it spends three minutes in Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner (KRST) dulited 1+19 at 75 degrees F. I do not notice a difference in shadow and highlight color at the end.

My goal is usually a neutral print, thus Moersch SE6 developer followed by the same toning regime is how I typically process this paper. The MGWTRC / MCC developer / KRST "team" is the first modern combination I've found that gives a slightly warm/eggplant color which is pleasing to me.

Ansco 130. Beautful tones, as good as Amidol, and lasts forever. Available at the Formulary, easy to mix.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

LPD. Very long life, versatile dilution, clean working.

Drew Wiley

I vary my developers depending on the specific paper and final toning strategy. I have my own amidol tweak I use for coolish papers. For warmtone or neutral
    images, I'm use customized tweaks of 130 glycin formulas. MGWT is a favorite paper for the latter.

Thank you, Ian. I will definitely give your concentrated formula a try; I love warm tones!

Alan

Just to represent the quick and easy, I use Dektol 1:1. Clearly, nothing fancy nor exotic.

I will say that Ansel Adams recommended Dektol in his books, and I figured, if it was good enough for him . . .

The 1:1 ratio is nice, because it makes it easy to bring the developer to temperature, which is usually about 70 degrees. I develop for effectively 3 minutes a la 68 degrees. I use a Zone VI developing timer, and real time for that compensating timer occurs at about 68 degrees. The actual developing time will be somewhat less at higher temperatures.

The optimum temperature for Dektol is indeed 68 degrees. The activity of the two active ingredients varies with temperature. 68 degrees yields the best combined result from both. But having lived in Arizona, I chill at that temperature, so I compromise a little.