Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q. for 8X10 shooters

Q. for 8X10 shooters

What is your brand preference for 8X10 holders?

Q. for 8X10 shooters

Modern Fidelity brand holders although I have heard that Lisco and Fidelity are now made by the same company. Hard to justify the touted but overly expensive Sinar or Toyo because of the results I already get.

Reasonable in price and available. Hard combination to beat and they have never let me down with questionable registration or ligh leakage.

Cheers!

Q. for 8X10 shooters

I use recently-manufactured Fidelity holders, as well. No problems so far.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Q. for 8X10 shooters

Same here, Lisco Regal II's and Fidelity Deluxes. Pretty much interchangeable and no problems except occasional dust, which is an issue with any film holder. I have some older wooden holders which now live happily in retirement. Bite the bullet, invest in good filmholders. You won't regret it.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Q. for 8X10 shooters

My favorite are the old Kodak/Graflex holders made of wood and metal. I have one Lisco holder and, while it does the job, it doesn't seem as sturdy as these. I just picked up two on eBay in really nice condition for about $30, so you can find good deals on them too.

Octogenarian

Q. for 8X10 shooters

Hi Bob,

The Fidelity Elite and Lisco Regal II holders seem to be the most popular film holders available. I recently purchased a set of the newest style 5X7 and 8X10 Fidelity holders, and so far, am very pleased with them.

Q. for 8X10 shooters

There's not that much to choose from in terms of new 8x10 holders from major vendors - it's Lisco/Fidelity at about $70, Toyo at about $130, and the Sinar Adhesive holder at $500++.
    Lisco/Fidelity is really the industry standard, and works fine for me. For a bit more, you can order them with metal rather than plastic darkslides, but I've never broken a plastic one. I've never seen any explanation as to why the Toyo, which seems to be of similar construction, should be worth almost twice the price. The special feature of the Sinar is a patch of adhesive material that keeps the film from shifting or buckling. I can't recall hearing of anyone who has bought or used one.

Lotus offers new 8x10 wooden film holders, but at current exchange rates the price is over $400 each.

The main alternative to new Lisco/Fidelity is used Lisco/Fidelity of various vintages, as well as older wooden and hybrid metal/wooden holders by various makers. For my taste older holders of either metal or wooden construction are usually more trouble than they are worth, because the dust and dirt that's accumulated over the years in hard-to-clean nooks and crannies of the holder always seems to emerge and land on your negatives right in the middle of what should be clear skies. But some people with more patience than I can muster have reported success in cleaning old holders with careful use of a vacuum cleaner and compressed air, and retaping the end flaps as necessary.

I do have a handful of old wooden holders that have been disassembled, cleaned up and partially rebuilt by Alan Brubaker. But that's so expensive that it's worth doing only for ULF holders or for holders in odd smaller formats that are otherwise very hard to find in good shape - mine are 6.5x8.5 and 7x11. For 8x10 it's cheaper just to buy new Lisco/Fidelity than to pay Alan to refurbish old wooden ones.

Q. for 8X10 shooters

I agree with David. The Kodak/Graflex holders have served me well through the years.

Q. for 8X10 shooters

Agfa holders that work nice too.

Q. for 8X10 shooters

I own a variety of 8x10 Fidelity Elite and Lisco Regal II holders, and have been very happy with them.