Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best LED Tactical Flashlight for photography? Suggestions/expeiences?

Re: Best LED Tactical Flashlight for photography? Suggestions/expeiences?

Fenix TK35 is excellent. Much better than the highly advertised 'navy seal flashlight' that is all over the internet. More powerful and great for longer fill light on buildings out to 1/4 mile or so.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I4O8BK Smith & Wesson Galaxy 6 LED Flashlight (3 Red + 3 White LEDs)
    is what I have. It does not light paint landscapes, but I have used it for lighting a portrait at night outdoors with the white LEDs. Sort of an average brightness flashlight. The real reason I own this is for the red LEDs. It has two on/off buttons, one for red, one for white. (it does pink if they are both on and my girls like that). The red is nice for shooting with the DSLR at night, I can use the red light to adjust settings on my camera and find things I drop without totally losing my night vision. One could use the red for darkroom or wet plate work I suppose but my darkroom is well lit.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    That's what I asked for, but wow, definitely not free.

Thank you~
    Got it on sale, but it still wasn't cheap. For a reasonably priced light, the Nitecore EC11 is excellent. Very small, but still 900 lumens with an IMR 1850 battery. Also has a red led mode. http://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/ec11

hacker extraordinaire

Zebralight SC52w. Lost it once and bought another because it's perfect. It uses common AA batteries, and you can turn it directly onto any of its three main power levels. It has a lockout tailcap, can freestand to act as a lamp bouncing off the ceiling, is small enough to bite, bloody bright on high, and has a high CRI LED.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

Adding "tactical" onto "flashlight" is like adding "professional" before "camera". Good for at least a 20-50% increase in price.

But since you're considering price and output, you might want to wander around here: http://budgetlightforum.com/

Thanks. Forums are the new Apps!

Now I know what 'protection' means.

I worry about electrical items like exploding or flaming Hoverboards which are in the news lately.

I have seen and worked my share of fire. Lost family 2 years ago from home fire.

Safety First.

Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    Adding "tactical" onto "flashlight" is like adding "professional" before "camera". Good for at least a 20-50% increase in price.

But since you're considering price and output, you might want to wander around here: http://budgetlightforum.com/

I thought LEDs emitted light without temperature. Now I see flashlights setting things on fire! Oi!

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I thought LEDs emitted light without temperature. Now I see flashlights setting things on fire! Oi!
    They do produce heat and the more power they consume the more heat they produce.

I find even my tiny 1 watt LED Red safe lights are warm. My room lights are very hot to touch the external heat sink.

Power supplies, chargers and batteries are big dangers.

There is no free lunch.

Les

Instead "tactical" or "ninja", bla bla bs, what we need is an entity that tests these things with some reliable integrity. I had this thing with megazillion lumens and it became quite weak v. quickly....and I wasn't able to recharge it. Subsequently bought a waterproof Princeton Tec (for a trip to Hawaii) and had to fold 2 pieces of paper in the front of it (blocking) in order to light a tree in the Bristlecone Forest. No more issues.

Les

“You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know