Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best spanner wrench you have used?

Best spanner wrench you have used?

I remember that badger graphic and b&h used to have spanner wrench for sale, but it no longer exists. I looked up online find Amazon has a few of these for sale around $20, as well as S K Grime has one for sale for $54. Does anyone have experience with S.K Grime's spanner wrench? Does it worth the extra bucks to get one from S.K. Grime? I plan to open up a lens with the spanner wrench.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Re: Best spanner wrench you have used?

I have only the S K Grimes lens spanner wrench and I think it is worth the money.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Les

Indeed, I've only experienced SK Grimes wrench....and the ease of use pretty much verified, that I did the right thing.

Les

I purchased this one, and it's very well made. I have to say it's the best spanner wrench I've ever used, because, well, it's the only one I've ever used. I've used it successfully to dismantle a bunch of lenses though, and it's never given me a problem.

http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Profess...XWPFKB3S6WKAAW

Robert Bowring

You could try micro-tools.com they have a good selection of camera repair tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    I purchased this one, and it's very well made. I have to say it's the best spanner wrench I've ever used, because, well, it's the only one I've ever used. I've used it successfully to dismantle a bunch of lenses though, and it's never given me a problem.
    Likewise. I have both of these Neewer wrenches on copal #0, #1, & #3 large format lenses.

http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Profess...dp/B00J5F6O92/
    http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Profess...dp/B00J5F6ZI2/

Solid stainless steel, great build quality. I like the flat bar one a little better - simpler design, but they are both really good tools for any normal sized lens.

They can span up to ~100mm, but much more than that I don't know if I could get enough leverage - say for example disassembling a 300mm f/2.8 or larger DSLR lens you might need a bigger spanner for the front element.
    -Adam

My experiences:

1. Flat Toyo wrench of limited usefulness; too much interference on wood boards from the routed out portion. Works OK on Canham and Technica style boards.

2. Grimes wrench with flat tips. The gold standard, I use it often going on 14 years or so. It is great.

3. Microtools version with multiple tips. This will work with some very small lenses that are too small for the Grimes one, at least too small to have the orientation of the tips at best advantage. It does occasionally save the day. Not as strong and secure at the Grimes version, but sometimes it is my only solution.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I've used a few different spanner wrenches, and seriously, here's the best one I've found for disassembling lenses. Very solid and easily adjustable (just turn the screws in or out) within its limited range, and easy to grasp with lots of leverage. I have several in varying sizes, and add to my collection when necessary!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0078.jpg  
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

BTW, I'll custom make one for $500, or sell you the plans for $250!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Thanks, everyone. I just placed an order with SK grimes.