Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The passing of Al Weber

The passing of Al Weber

To All

With great sadness I post the passing of a photographer, mentor, teacher and friend. Al Weber has past away today, a number of us on this forum knew him in many different ways. Mine started in 1974 at the Ansel Adams Workshop in Yosemite….my relationship and friendship has gone on for over forty years., if it was Victor School in Colorado, or workshops in Carmel or the Deserts of Eastern California….Al Weber was a true teacher….I will miss him dearly….good bye my dear friend and mentor…..Jan

Re: The passing of Al Weber

Very sorry to hear that... a great loss. Thanks for sharing.

Truly a very sad day.

I attended a Photogravure workshop at Al's house in 1989 and have been in contact ever since that experience.
    He was the best teacher and mentor I have ever met.

A great loss to the photographic community.

May his family be consoled by all the prayers and thoughts from people who were fortunate to cross his path.

Rest in peace my friend.
    "People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - H. Jackson Brown

Oren and Gary

Thank you, he was a very special teacher and mentor....at one point i counted the number of workshops he had taught and it came to over 1,000 to 1,500....

Jan

I was fortunate to meet Al in 1966 at my first AA workshop in Yosemite. We hit it off right away; he was so easy to like and appreciate. I didn't know what the heck I was doing at that time. I credit him with, among other things, giving me my first lesson in the sequence of pre-exposure and although I didn't totally understand the technique he prompted me to read up on the details in The Negative. I returned home with the full set of AA's Photo Series and began studying before returning for several more workshops to get questions answered. He also recommended several other good reference materials. All that laid the groundwork for my transition to large format. I shall never forget all he did for me.

RIP, Al. My prayers go out to his family as well.

It is a great loss for photography. teacher, mentor, photographer, and a great man. I knew Al for 45 years and he was my mentor as well as my second father. He will be greatly missed. A true Sage and Icon.

Al Weber has passed

Al Weber photographer, teacher and friend to thousands passed away in the early morning of Feb 27.
    Al was a full time photographer his entire adult life having studied at University of Denver after his stint in the Marine Corps and serving in Korea.He was one of the instructors chosen by Ansel Adams for his Yosemite workshops. He established the photography workshops for Friends of Photography and later for the University of California, Santa Cruz. In 1989 he started the annual Photographers Rendezvous. The attendance to this never sunk below 65 photographers, and at times reached the cut off point of 90. These he continued until age and illness forced him to give it up after 24 years. Throughout the years he continued his life as a Commercial and Fine Art photographer along with his personal workshops.
    Al was beloved by many and to say he will be sorely missed is a vast understatement.
    God be with you, and Rest in Peace my friend.

Jim

Threads merged.

Re: Al Weber has passed

Jim Noel, thank you for filling in the spots I missed....this man Jim Noel is one that a lot student have learned from and have taken from his teachings....we, have spent many a time listing to the stories and lessons from Al in the field or in the darkroom.....thank you Jim

Re: Al Weber has passed

Sad to hear of Al's passing. He contributed so much, and touched so many, in a life devoted to the art and craft of photography.
    In his words: "I try to make a successful photograph of a common or oft seen subject --- to bring forward the common, and make it uncommon with grace and simplicity and good craft."
    Al seldom failed in this endeavor. My condolences to his family, and to all of those whose lives have been enriched by his friendship. Indeed, a great loss.