Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Photo Cart Based on an Old Golf Cart

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: Photo Cart Based on an Old Golf Cart

Neil, great job. I like the MEI backpack as well.

What's really nice is that the bag is horizontal when "at rest" for easy access. Could work as well with a hard case.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    When I photographed the Chicago River I used a Sherpa Cart (no longer in production) that is very similar to a golf cart, although with small bicycle wheels. It worked very well. Randy, most people will give you a wide berth because they are not sure what you are about and don't want to take chances. I was often tempted to wear a hard hat and reflective safety vest, and put down traffic cones to divert pedestrians and cars. Judging from the number of people who thought I was on official business, I think I could have gotten away with it...
    I have both hard hat and yellow Carhart reflective vest. The hard hat is a bicycle helmet in day glow green, looks just like a hard hat and is even called a Hard Hat by the manufacturer.

Remember the guy who lost all his DSLR gear at the North ave beach? He was targeted and it was a lot of gear.

Loved your river project!

I like the hard hat and vest idea. Add a few orange cones and you will really look like you already have permission to do . . .whatever.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    I think that I used fir for the spine and the top, poplar for the middle support cross-bar, and 5/8ths inch plywood for the base. The fir and poplar that I can get locally are always quite straight and not warped. Only wood was used for the parts that didn't come originally with the cart.

Yes, I recall now that the cart is (was?) a BagBoy.
    Thanks for this idea. I found a cheap used one and when I get some time I'm going to do an adaption-probably a bit different to suit my own backpack and needs.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I have both hard hat and yellow Carhart reflective vest. The hard hat is a bicycle helmet in day glow green, looks just like a hard hat and is even called a Hard Hat by the manufacturer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    I like the hard hat and vest idea. Add a few orange cones and you will really look like you already have permission to do . . .whatever.
    That's a fabulous idea!

The thing to do is to load the cones, etc., like it's all standard equipment. (The wheels are definitely cranking on this one.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Neil, great job. I like the MEI backpack as well.
    Thanks.

I looked all over Los Angeles during the late 80's for this backpack. Of course, MEI no longer makes them in this style. Everything's become padded and compartmentalized. (Heavier, and more expensive.) This one is basically a single, large, cloth, rectangular enclosure. It's lightweight; I've inserted black foam rubber with cutouts for lenses, etc. When purchased, they bent two internal rods to fit my back. (Of course, I'm shorter now.) It's the most comfortable backpack that I've owned.

I'm not likely to go backpacking again, so my ancient backpack will come in handy. (Tried to give it to one of my kids, but it was "too old-fashioned.") *sigh*

I thought that I would update this thread with the following.

These are my three outfits that I use most of the time. From left to right: 8x10, 4x5, and my digital kit for color. It took enough time and effort to swap multiple backpacks on the same golf cart, I finally opted for multiple golf carts. When I'm ready to photograph, I grab and go. It's a little more complicated, though. Between digital and 4x5, I will need to swap two or three lenses and the darkcloth between the two backpacks.

The camera bag at the bottom of the center cart contains all the equipment needed by all three packs. (Sans lenses.) So, that includes my spot meter, filters, adapters, tables, compendium lenshoods, loupe, pen, dentist mirror, extra rubber bands, flash light, etc, etc. As you can see, it's easy to transfer this bag from one cart to another.

If you have in mind to put one of these together, get an earlier BagBoy cart where folding the handle down DOES NOT automatically retract the wheels. I don't think I paid more than about $20 for any of these carts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carts.jpg   Bag.jpg  
    Last edited by neil poulsen; 6-Nov-2020 at 07:49.

Fore!!! No you idiot, there's only three!

Cool!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China