Thread: Help Identifying Vintage/Antique Graflex :D

Help Identifying Vintage/Antique Graflex :D

Hi all!

I ran across this Graflex drop bed bellows camera that I'm pretty sure was 5x7. I wanted to look it over more, but the woman working was standing there waiting for me to get on with it so I had to snap a couple of pics and be on my way.

What confused me was that this camera was made of wood--indicating it was an earlier model--but had the nameplate "Graflex, Inc." and not "Folmer, etc."

I do apologize for the poor quality of the photos.

After doing a bit of searching, this camera seems to most resemble a Graflex RB Cycle Graphic. It does have a revolving back and pop-out viewing hood and ground glass back. It came with a set of cut film holders.

I also wonder about the lens: Kodak Anastigmat 170mm f/7.7. Possibly switched out the original lens for this one?

If you have any insight into this camera, I'd appreciate hearing it--approximate date of manufacture, whether my ID is correct, etc. Trying to decide if it's worth buying at their price. The shutter seems to be in good working order and the glass on the lens looked pretty clean. What do you think a fair price for this would be (if that's okay to ask)?

If I go back in to look again, where can I find identifying information like the serial number or model identification on the camera body?

Thanks!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0989.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	147027Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0990.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	147028

multiplex

Re: Help Identifying Vintage/Antique Graflex :D

hi

have you found the historic camera library yet ?
    here is the "graphic" page
    there are a few pages, and icons so you can
    try to match what have

http://www.historiccamera.com/cgi-bi...=search&page=0
    this is a cycle graphic of some sort ( folds up into its own case to be put on the back of a bicycle.
    it looks like it might be a "cycle grapic sr", or a "graphic camera"
    what ever it is, its nice !
    john

Thanks for the link. Yes, it does appear to be similar to the two you mentioned. I'm just not sure how much these cameras evolved over the years they were in production. Have been trying to find a similar image online and have found a few, but nothing exactly like it. The name plate under the lens is what confuses me--it's unclear. Might go back there to the shop and see if I can find a serial number.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi

have you found the historic camera library yet ?
    here is the "graphic" page
    there are a few pages, and icons so you can
    try to match what have

http://www.historiccamera.com/cgi-bi...=search&page=0
    this is a cycle graphic of some sort ( folds up into its own case to be put on the back of a bicycle.
    it looks like it might be a "cycle grapic sr", or a "graphic camera"
    what ever it is, its nice !
    john

Yes, it's a Cycle Graphic!!!

I have one, and it's the same hardware… Check the black plates on the bed, and see what they say… Mine also has setting scales for a triple convertible lens, AND the Cirkut adapter… (Mine's the whole plate model…) The lens is the right era, but might not be original… The Graflex nameplate would make it a later model...

To find additional information, look up the Cirkut camera models, as they use this body…

Steve K

Thanks for the unequivocal answer!
    The serial number is on the inside face of the top side? Would this help me date it or are the Graflex serial numbers not so great at this...thought I read that somewhere.

Any idea what wood it's made from? Mahogany?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Yes, it's a Cycle Graphic!!!

I have one, and it's the same hardware… Check the black plates on the bed, and see what they say… Mine also has setting scales for a triple convertible lens, AND the Cirkut adapter… (Mine's the whole plate model…) The lens is the right era, but might not be original… The Graflex nameplate would make it a later model...

To find additional information, look up the Cirkut camera models, as they use this body…

Steve K