Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Flower bloom in Death valley

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Re: Flower bloom in Death valley

Thanx
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    How do you find this webpage?
    I'm on several listserves, as well as using the search feature where you restrict the search to several sites; i.e.:

wildflowers site:nps.gov,http://goblossomtrail.com/,www.sacbe...odorepayne.org

In some search engines, the "comma" is replaced by a semi-colon...

I'll post the Yahoo group address next time I get an e-mail from them. Note I do NOT post locations to these groups, I only read. They have been the bane of wildflower spots: I have personally seen 1/8 acre size parcels of poppies destroyed in a DAY once they are announced on several of these sites. One site shut down under the threat of legal action because so many people were entering private land and disrupting the cattle... I have other stories also since the internet started broadcasting these things.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeH View Post
    This got a 410 Not Found result.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

On our way!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    This got a 410 Not Found result.
    This isn't a link. You need to type, or cut and paste, the entire line into a search engine. The Forum software isn't handling this correctly, and it's abbreviated some of what I type. Apparently if I put quotation marks around the phrase, the Forum software won't display it as a link. Let's try this again:

What I'm getting at here, is the ability to restrict searches to specific websites. For example, if I'm doing tax research on photography, and I type the phrase: [without the quotes]
    "photography site:1040.com,irs.gov,drakesoftware.com,taxingsubjects.com,taxprotalk.com"
    into a search engine, the search engine will only search the sites I've listed. I'll get all sorts of info on photography from only the IRS site, and the others that I've listed.

So... if you, over time, accumulate a number of websites that occasionally have wildflower data, you can search only those sites... If you type the entire phrase below, without the quotes, into a search engine, it will only search the site you listed. The "GoBlossomTrail" draws a blank because it's for the almond and orchard blooms in the Fresno area, and not wildflowers.

"wildflowers www.goblossomtrail.com,www.sacbee.com,www.theodorepayne.org"

Oh, and ... probably too late ... the only place where I found cell coverage was around Furnace Creek...

Drew Wiley

Don't count on cell phones in much of the West, at least when you're surrounded by mountains.

1266 miles,9 rolls of medium format film, and 38 sheets of 4x5 film later, we are back from the Death Valley National Park. The most amazing Hell on Earth place. We did a lot of activities, but also know our limits. Now catch up with some work before going *thud*

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I'd just reiterate that the road to the Racetrack is definitely NOT paved and is quite a long drive. Not a bad idea to have two spare tires along that route, since
    recent storms might have made things distinctly worse than normal. That road will rattle your teeth out. But it gets way worse beyond the Racetrack. Ubehebe
    Crater along the way is also fascinating. But there are so, so many places you can explore between Badwater and the west entrance that wasting an entire long
    day going to the Racetrack and back can be counterproductive. And sometimes when you get there, there are SUV tracks all over the playa anyway, rules or not.
    A wonderful alternative would be going uphill on the Wildrose road and a much easier dirt road to Augebery Point, for a stunning overlook of the Valley, opposite Dante's View. You can camp up there too, if you have warm gear.
    With a decent pickup you can take the road over Hunter Mountain into the Racetrack. Some pretty good views along the way and wildflowers in Panamint Vally and the nearby Star dunes are worth a visit.

If you have time try the drive to the Trona Pinnacles. Not visited nearly as much as Death Valley and you get the great experience of driving through downtown Trona - a not to be forgotten vacation spot.

Quote Originally Posted by richardman View Post
    1266 miles,9 rolls of medium format film, and 38 sheets of 4x5 film later, we are back from the Death Valley National Park. The most amazing Hell on Earth place. We did a lot of activities, but also know our limits. Now catch up with some work before going *thud*
    I'm going to try to go this weekend.

Which areas did you get in to, and what seemed to be showing the thickest? Also, if you don't mind, which MF and LF cameras were you shooting?